Changed Chapter 1

~Chapter 1~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting alone in the library is scary but the funny thing is that I do it for almost every day. I don't like being at home. I don't feel welcome in my own house. It's not that my mom is under the influence of drug or that my dad is an abusive father. No, they are not. In fact, they are the opposite. They are like the perfect parents that anyone could ever have. Just that they are always busy. I don't know what went wrong that I did not inherit any of their attitude, personality and behaviour.

It is a sad fact for my parents that I am the only 14-year-old from White Oak High School that does not have any friend. Well, if you count a dog as a friend then I do have one but I don't have any human companion. I talked to my classmates a time or two but I never got interested in their stories, with what they are usually talking about. I'd say gossiping rather than chatting.

While I was lost on my thinking, my other classmates were chatting or maybe gossiping but who cares. Seconds later, Miss Johnson, my English teacher rushed into the room saying, "Oh class, I know I'm late," as she put her stuff onto her desk. "I'm so sorry."

Everybody in class paid attention to her for awhile and nodded then continued with their talks. Miss Johnson was trying to get everyone's attention but to no avail. She then realized that in 10 minutes time, class will be over. It was the last period for the day.

I could hear Samantha's voice saying, "Look at Evyn." Her sidekicks: Joanne and Marissa turned their head towards me then back to Samantha. "She is so -- weird. I mean look at her, have you ever seen her with someone. I doubt that."

"Yeah. I noticed that," said Joanna. "Some people are just snooty, including....her." Samantha and Marissa burst into laughter. Fake laugh -- I could tell.

Not long after that, Marissa said, "I heard that she doesn't like to stay at home because of her parents. Her parents are not good. Y'know? Abusive or something like that."

Upon hearing that, I turned my head towards them trying to think of a line to say to them. A good one but I couldn't come up with anything. I ended up staring at them and being called weird. Yeah, I got that a lot but I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I slouched back into my seat and just as I rested  my head on my hand, the bell rang.

I could hear voices outside the class room. Everybody else was excited because tomorrow is Saturday. I'll have to stay at home for the whole weekend since I don't have any plans. I really don't fancy staying at home. It's uncomfortable. I only like two places at my house. They are: my bedroom, of course and the attic where I can be alone for as long as I want to.

I didn't come out of the class room until everyone else had. I was the last one out, as usual. I have not a single friend waiting for me in the hall. I walked down the hall, the path I am very much familiar with which is leading to the library. My favourite place in school. No one else likes to to go to the library. I am always alone there which is good since I don't like crowd.

As I stepped my feet into the library, I smiled for the first time today. I sat in my favourite table which is at the far end of the library. Sat down for a while then I stood up and made my way to the Novel Section. Trying to choose another book to read since I've finished reading the book I borrowed before. I went to every racks just to find the perfect book to read. 

As I was busy looking through books by books, I saw someone walked by the rack from the corner of my left eye. I turned my head towards it but there was no one there. I was scared. As far as I knew, I was the only one in the library but no, there was someone else. I acted as if I was not scared at all but anybody could tell that I was scared, even a 5-year-old could. 

I didn't bother to go check out who it was as I was too scared. I went back to my seat trying to assure myself that my eyes were playing tricks on me. I decided to go home early today even though I hate it there. I packed up my books and stuffed them into my bag. I carried it and made my way out of the eerie place.  

When I was about to lay my hand on the door knob, another hand reached on it first. I stared at the hand for awhile. The hand's owner snapped his fingers in front of me breaking me out of my thoughts. I brought myself to take a look at its face and turned out it was a boy. A boy I have never laid my eyes on. His eyes were mesmerising. They were dark blue. 

"Hey! You okay?" He said breaking the silence.

"Yes, I'm fine," I said. "I'm sorry." 

His other hand was still on the door knob. "What's there to be sorry for?" 

"Oh, nothing." I forced a smile, "I gotta go." 

"Before you do, let me introduce myself." He said smiling sweetly, "My name is Seth. Seth Crane." He held out his hand, "I just moved into this neighbourhood. Nice to meet you."

I shook his hand and said, "Good to know." I smiled then I ran off without introducing myself.

"Hey! Wait up!" He said looking at me. "You haven't told me your name yet."

I looked back for a while then I looked away and kept on walking. I did smile to him before I walked off but I was so stupid. Why didn't I say something. He could've been my first friend in this school. There was something about him that got me going. I have a feeling that he is not like the other kids in school. Hey, he went into the library. He's already different since most kids avoid to ever going into the library.

I walked home alone. The incident played over and over again. It's still vivid, how it happened and everything. After walking for about 15 minutes, I reached home. The windows and door were closed. No one was home. I couldn't believe my brother, Dan was not at home. I grabbed the key from my pocket and unlocked the door. I went in, closed the door then locked it and ran up the stairs to my room. I threw my bag over to the other side of the room and jumped into my bed. I thought about Seth for a while then I fell into a deep sleep. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it. The first chapter of my "book". I don't know. It was so hard coming up with the ideas, having to elaborate them and all, yeah. I hope you'll like it.