Ki$$ & $ell: Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“You’ve gotta help me find the perfect outfit,” I said, nearing hysterics as I tore through my closet.

“We told you we’d help,” McCartney said from her spot on my bed. “But first, you have got to calm down. You’re running around like you’re on fire.”

“I’m going out with Dan Stevenson tonight,” I said, stopping in my tracks. “I might as well be on fire.”

“You are such a drama queen,” Phin said from across the room. “He’s just a dude. Like me. He puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.”

“Maybe so, but those pants he puts on look soooo good,” I cooed as I thought of him. “And he’s not like you. He’s popular, remember?”

“Thanks for the reminder,” Phin answered sarcastically.

“You know what I mean,” I answered, going back to pacing around in front of my closet.

McCartney got off the bed and placed her hands on my shoulders forcefully. Girl was strong. “You go get in the shower and we’ll find you an outfit,” she said, pushing me toward the bathroom.

“Shower,” I said slowly. “Right. Probably a good idea.”

“Showering is definitely a good idea,” Phin said, waving his hand in front of his face. “You don’t want him smelling the real you.”

I glared at him before disappearing into my bathroom.

Once the door was locked behind me, I turned the knob on the tub and watched as steam filled the room around me. I waited until I could no longer see my outstretched hand and then stepped under the hot stream. I let my thoughts slip away and concentrated on the steady thumping of water as it massaged my head. Before long, my nerves were nearly gone and I’d almost forgotten about my date.

Almost.

            Eventually, I emerged from the room smelling considerably better than I had going in. Even girlie-like.

            “Put these on.” McCartney handed me a jean skirt and a shimmery black top that I didn’t recognize.

            “Where’d this come from?” I asked, eyeing the top.

            “I figured you might need something a little un-Arielle,” McCartney said, shrugging. “So, I brought it from home.”

            “Thank you?” I said, not sure whether my wardrobe had just been insulted or not. “Phin, can you turn around?”

            “Not a problem,” Phin said, holding up his hands and turning to face the wall.

            I let my towel drop to the ground and stepped into the skirt after I threw the top over my head.

            “I’m dressed now,” I said to Phin and then modeled the outfit for them. “So?”

            “Hello, Megan Fox-y!” McCartney said, nodding approvingly. “I knew you had it in you!”

            “I don’t know,” I said checking myself out in the mirror. I wrinkled my nose and chewed on my lip thoughtfully. “You don’t think there’s too much cleavage?”

            I pulled the top up a bit and then watched as it fell back down to its original place, exposing some of my nearly-flat chest.