Backwards Walk

A/N: I just watched the episode. wow. But oh, my poor shipper heart. I don't dare to hope, but I want to believe there will be more to this... Listened to this version of the song when I wrote the story, so you could listen to it if you would like to, while reading. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqLh_VXi5c

-------

I'm working on my backwards walk

Walking with no shoes or socks

And the time rewinds to the end of May

I wish we'd never met then met today

The fire had long since turned to burning embers. Mulan had offered to take the first watch together with Robin himself. She’d believed he didn’t trust her just yet but he had soon after fallen asleep against a tree on the other side of the fire, facing the forest, snoring quite loudly. Maybe he was pretending, giving her some space. She appreciated it, whichever way it was.

Mulan wondered if he’d seen it in her. If he’d known from just watching her that she had no chance. If he’d somehow smelled her longing after another woman on her breath or on her clothes. She felt like that herself – like she radiated the love she tried to hide behind her thick armor.

“A loved one?”

“We shall see.”

It had all started with a simple impression. She had liked Philip immediately. They’d been introduced and hit it off at once; talking over drinks. She’d even found him attractive and him her, he’d told her one drunken night. But she’d known all along that if she’d let something happen she would forever have been the consolation price. When the prince had talked about Aurora it was as if the rest of the world disappeared. He had loved her from the first moment he had laid eyes on her. There was no doubt in Mulan’s mind that he loved her. But still Mulan kept thinking that this kind of love was not possible to last. He was in love with the picture of a beautiful princess, hardly even knowing her. Somewhere inside of her, despite all of her traditionally forced beliefs, she had heard of true love; she knew true love. It was rare and beautiful, and most importantly, develop over time. Some good things happen fast, but they never last for long. But she knew that beautiful things, steady things, they grew. Like trees, getting steadier each year that pass and blooming over and over. She agreed to be a friend to Philip and to assist him in the search for his one true love.

The time stopped and the two spent their paused time in a village of others who had been left in the Magic Kingdom. Years passed without them aging or getting anywhere. And then suddenly one day it all started moving again and the female warrior and the prince found the person they had been searching for during all those years stuck in time. Aurora.

I'm working on my faults and cracks

Filling in the blanks and gaps

And when I write them out they don't make sense

I need you to pencil in the rest

The first time Mulan saw Aurora she was mesmerized by her beauty.

It made her heart sing at the sight of such a creation but she also felt taken aback and vulnerable. Philip ran ahead and clamped his mouth on her the first chance he got. And suddenly, with the true loves’ kiss he had been rambling on about, the curse was broken. The beautiful woman with the long, honey streaked hair and pink dress was breathing like she’d never stopped. And so Mulan found an even more horrible truth; her voice was even more wonderful than her appearance. When the prince and the princess rightfully locked lips Mulan’s heart skipped a beat and she turned her head away. She caught herself thinking; this is wrong.