Prologue

Prologue

Pain shot through my arms as my skin continued to rub up against the rope. I shut my eyes tight to keep the salty tears from falling. The pain was excruciating.

Who cares how excruciating the pain is? Just keep going.

I took a deep breath and held it in as I began to rub harder. I suddenly felt a warm liquid trailing down my wrist all the way down to my fingertips. Blood. 

Just keep going Laura. You're almost free.

And I was exactly right. I let out the breath I had been holding in and began gasping for air. I slowly brought both of my hands up to get a good look at them. From the wrist down they were both covered in blood. It was a shame how I had to do all of this just so I could be free.

Violently shaking my head, I reached down and began untying my legs. "If I can get through that, I can get through everything else."

More tears fell from my eyes as I struggled to untie my left foot. "Come on. Come on."

Once my left foot was finally free I began untying my other foot. The right was even harder to untie which made me worry just a little bit. Every passing second was time wasted. Brother James would be back any moment now, and I did not want to be here when he returned.

I gasped when the rope loosened around my ankle. I quickly finished untying it and jumped up from the chair I had been sitting in for two days now. I hadn't realized I was actually crying until I felt the salty tears reach my lips.

I rushed over to the small window on the other side of the room and began pulling it up. I frowned when the window wouldn't open any higher. There wasn't any space for me to crawl out. Since this was a underground basement there was dirt blocking me from having the space I needed to crawl out.

Without hesitating, I brought both of my hands up and began scooping the dirt out of the way. The feeling of dirt in my nails was irritating but I knew I couldn't stop. I had bigger things to worry about.

Like Brother James walking in on me trying to escape for example.

Once I had enough space to crawl out, I lifted myself up and began crawling out. It may have seemed like I had enough space to crawl but when I actually tried, it seemed like I had none. I dug my fingers into the ground and tried pushing myself out. It didn't help very much, but it got me out just a bit more.

I grinned widely once I finally managed to crawl out the window, but my victory was short lived when I suddenly felt a pair of hands latch onto both of my ankles. The hands tried pulling me back inside the window and I screamed the loudest I could.

"Where do you think you're going, huh?!"

I knew that voice from anywhere...

Brother James.

"No please! Just let me go!" I screamed.

"Come on Laura! You're just giving me a reason to hurt you!" he snarled.

My vision blurred with tears as I struggled to free my ankles. I tried kicking his face to see if that would work, which it eventually did. I got one free while the other one was still in his hold. I tried using the same method and about a minute had passed before he finally let go.

I quickly crawled out of the window and on my feet. Without looking back I ran into the woods.

"Laura! Laura! Get back here!" I heard Brother James yell. I tried tuning his screams out and focused on getting away from that maniac as soon as possible. 

These woods were foreign to me. I had no idea where I was running, or where I could run to for safety. I just ran without looking back. I could feel my feet starting to bleed since I stepped on a twig every time I took a step. I could barely see where I was going, and the only light I had was the full moon in the night sky.

Once I felt as though I was far enough I stopped. I stood in that exact spot not making any noises. The only thing I could hear was the sound of water coming from a stream up ahead and my heavy breathing. I tried listening very close for footsteps just in case he followed.

Nothing. I heard nothing.

I let out the breath of air I hadn't realized I was holding in and turned around to continue running. I jumped once I realized I had almost bumped into somebody.

Well he wasn't just somebody. He was Brother James.

I took a step back which only made him take a step forward. He growled before pushing me down on the ground. He climbed on top of me and brought both of my hands together over my head. He used one hand to hold my hands together while the other went to the buttons of my night gown.

"No please. Please Brother James. I'm sorry!" I cried.

"Sorry isn't going to cut it Laura," he said through clenched teeth. He undid all of the buttons on my night gown revealing my neon yellow bra.

Since my hands were being held together I did the only thing I could do. I brought my knee up making it hit him right in the groin. He groaned in pain and used both of his hands to grab onto his groin. I quickly tried to stand up but his hand wrapped around one of my ankles and pulled me back down. I hit my face on a rock and tears immediately blurred my vision. I moaned in pain as I brought my hand up to touch the spot I had hit. I slowly brought my hand back down to see all my fingers covered in blood.

"Shh, don't cry," Brother James cooed as he wiped some of my fallen tears away with his thumb. "I'll take you back home and get you cleaned up."

Did he not realize that he and his other psychotic family members were the reason why I was trying to escape? I couldn't take it anymore. I have had enough.

"Go to hell," I mumbled, as I slipped in and out of consciousness,

He seemed shocked at my words but it was soon replaced with anger. He growled before raising his hand up. I quickly shut my eyes and yelped. I laid there waiting for the blow but it never came.

I open my eyes and turn my head to see a unconscious Brother James lying next to me. Once my eyes landed on the blood that was gushing out of the side of his head, I suddenly feel nauseous. Black dots soon start to cloud my vision.

I suddenly feel a pair of hands lift me off of the ground and onto their lap. I look up to get a good look at the strangers face but my vision is blurry.

"Please don't die. Please don't. Oh please don't die," I hear the stranger say. The stranger lightly smacked my cheek. "Help! Somebody help!"

Help. Help has finally come after ten years.

"Please say something. Anything!" he begged.

Before the darkness consumed me I mumbled the first thing that came to mind, "My savior."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

A/N: So this is my newest creation. I'm gonna miss writing Runaway but all good things must come to an end. I have had this story idea on my mind for quite some time now and i'm just glad I can finally share it with you guys. Please vote if you want more and also comment!

If there are any mistakes or if something doesn't make sense to you, please tell me in the comments. Thank you and goodbye for now. :)

-Annie