Chinese Whispers

Just a short little story for you all - I'm not sure whether I should make it into a longer story so just let me know what you think of it. Thanks and enjoy :)

                                                                             --------------------------------

“Is he dead?” a voice murmured, it sounded quiet, soft and faraway just like his mother’s. Stefan knew he wasn’t dead but he knew that if pretended to be unconscious for a few minutes then he could finish this stupid fight. Looking back on what other alcohol he poured into the slikovitz he suddenly realised it wasn’t the best decision. His eyes flickered open; he only saw the innkeeper and his two friends Stewan and Chris. Just as soon as he stood up he was knocked down  again,  this  time  he took  a  blow  to  the  head.  “Damn” he whispered to himself. He was getting angrier and angrier by every passing moment.

He thought of a plan of attack in his head. If he was able to get over to the other side of the bar then he would be able to turn around and hit the enemy, James, in the side of the head causing him to fall down and then, quite easily, Stefan would be able to finish him off. He hadn’t realised it before but his ankle was twisted at a sickening angle, this didn’t help his walking. It wasn’t long before he had to have a rest. It was a mixture of slikovitz and exhaustion but he kept pushing himself on. He made it to the other side of the bar. What was strange about it was that James was nowhere in sight. “James, you better come out and fight like the man you think you are!” Yelled Stefan, he was suddenly revived, once again full of hope and faith. All too soon he was ripped of it. He felt a sudden uneasiness in the whole place. Before he could react, Stefan felt something heavy on him. It wasn’t a keg or a really huge log it was a simple pot of beer. Not to heavy so it would kill him, but heavy enough to cause severe damage to his blood loss and knock him unconscious for a few minutes or maybe a few hours.

“Help, Help. Somebody please help!!” yelled Stewan. Whilst running on the old, grey cobbled stones of the deserted street. The fight hadn’t ended all that well. Stefan was knocked unconscious and if Stewan and Chris didn’t find help soon enough then it could cause serious damage to Stefan’s brain causing him to die a very painful death. “Do you need help?” asked an eerie voice; it seemed to come from the shadows.

“Yes I do need help, right now” “Why should I help?” the voice replied. It seemed to be getting closer and closer. “Because...It’s my friend, Stefan” “Stefan did you say?” asked the voice, it suddenly seemed interested to help. “Yes that’s his name, why do you ask?” replied Stewan, he was very worried about Stefan now, he shouldn’t be wasting time like this but he needed help and fast. “Yes I do know Stefan, he’s meant to marry my daughter you know.” Said the voice, it seemed to be calm, gentle and not at all malicious.

The owner of the voice came out of the shadows and stood under the little bit of light coming from the flickering street lamp. The owner of the voice looked very pale, almost white just like someone from the dead. The walking of the dead. “What’s your name?” asked Stewan “my name, dear boy is the name that brings terror to my family, especially my daughter.”

“Who’s your daughter?” asked Stewan his heart was beating very fast, he was terrified, why did he make Stefan do stupid things like getting into a fight. “You don’t know my daughter?” Yelled the voice, “no I don’t and I’m really s..sorry, I live on the outskirts of the town of Woodend not in the actual town.” “Please just help me, please!” Pleaded Stewan, “I need to tell you my name first, it’s Crista”  “oh and could you pass this message on to Stefan and all your other friends for me, I would greatly appreciate it.” As quickly as the street light went out Stewan felt heavy breathing on his neck. He didn’t have enough time to scream or run away before two long piercing fangs poked and prodded at his skin. They found what they were looking for. The last words that Stewan heard were “remember to pass the message on because if you get it wrong then the whole game of Chinese whispers won’t work.”

“Stewan, Chris where are you I’m dying, please help me, somebody please help me!” Screamed Stefan, but no one would answer his cry because everyone was locked away indoors like they were supposed to be. There was one soul however who woke to a blood curdling scream.

 Agnes.