Prologue: Temporary Normality

Start from the beginning

Whipping my head to the left, I met a sight I found I was strangely accustomed to. A harem of women, all shapes and sizes, stood huddled against one another. Each pushed against others to reach the center, only to be thrown to the side by someone stronger.

Through the mass of females fighting their way past the growing congregation, I caught a glimpse of a ball of platinum blonde locks. Afterward, it took less than a second to find the arresting brunette.

In the center of hysterical fans, stood the most notorious of us all, and his innocent little lamb. Alexander and Jayden seemed not to spare a glance towards the people thrashing against them. In other words, they were stuck in their own world.

Before I could intervene, or even take a step in their direction, I discovered that they were already being pulled away from their rowdy audience and into the responsible hands of Kale. Behind the three, stood a disinterested Melody and daydreaming Tristan.

Instantly realizing my uselessness, I flushed. While I, the supposed leader of this group, had sat by, observing my associates mingle and waste precious time, Kale had gone ahead and rounded them up.

How perfect he seems, wouldn't you agree?

“Time to leave,” I yawned, curling up once again. Everybody piled in and after shoving the press away from the van, we all silently sighed in relief. The grave ambiance, remained.

This was how it always was, after completing a case which required more than simple brainpower. Though the only person who beheld a fear for blood, seemed to be Tristan, we all perceived that same apprehensive view of corpses and death in general, even Kale and I, very much different from our allies.

Moments after entering the highway, the facades fell, and so did that generally solemn feeling.

“Hey,” Alexander was the first to break the ice. “What's wrong with you? Your clumsiness almost cost us our lives.” He was obviously joking lightly, but Tristan, being the most sensitive and naive of us all, took it to heart.

“I-I'm sorry, you guys, I-” his voice cracked slightly and without glancing back in my seat, I already knew his eyes would be shining with unshed tears.

Jayden, who had previously been listening quietly, reached over Alexander and to the row of seats before them, to mutter in Tristan's ear. “He's kidding, you know.”

“Ah,” none of us could bear to snicker at the gullible nature of our eldest.

“You know,” Melody began. “The death rate has dropped immensely since we first began this...” She paused, clueless as to what these things we've been doing for the past two years, could be labeled as.

I shared the same impression. Sure, we were helping the government (in truth, we were doing their job). Clearing confusion, solving puzzles, explaining mysteries; what did these good deeds really amount to?

There stood the question I doubted anybody (except maybe Kale) could answer.

“Case-cracking?” It seemed as if only I heard Jayden's whimper.

Melody continued her original train of thought. “Anyway, I just wanted to point out, that New York has become so much more peaceful than before.”

Her words held truth. When Kale and I had just arrived in this new country, we had been baffled by the amount of crime and corruption that took place in the streets near our estate. In an effort to minimize the horrors we watched take place daily, Kale and I had decided to round up the other four and create a combined force working towards a common goal.

“It's actually getting pretty boring.” Melody, ever the blunt one, stated dully.

“I agree,” Alexander conceded. “I mean, couldn't you find us a more enjoyable case, Syrena?”

“I thought you enjoyed gore and carnage,” I sighed, settling into a weary state of mind.

“I do,” Alex relented, “but not when Kale's the only one in on the action.”

Ah, jealousy. I watched Kale's hands tighten slightly on the steering wheel.

“Well, after this case, I'm sure we'll be getting some new requests soon,” I sighed softly. Without a doubt, we would be receiving plenty of recognition. Especially since we had completed the case before the Sheriff's private detective could even find a clue.

A yawn resounded from behind me, and I could practically smell the tranquil atmosphere enveloping the van.

In the far back seats, I could hear a hushed conversation between Alex and Jayden. Closer, in the middle row, came the muttered scolding of Melody towards Tristan (for something out of his hands, as always).

Things were back to normal. At least, for now.