Trick or Treat

It was one hell of an eerie Halloween night way back in 1938 when we kids decided to go trick or treating at our newest town residents. None of us had ever seen them but we, like the whole village were curious about these new people.

Their house was built on the village edge, right next to the thick forest. No one had ever built anything here, ever. Parents told their children that the silent forest was full of dangerous animals who ate children and didn't leave a carcass behind in a poor attempt to keep us kids away but still headed into. Many people wondered why they would build a mansion here, but no one knew who to approach.

As night descended, we kids wanted to go home, but no one wanted to admit it in fear of being a called a coward by the older kids. Halloween is scary at night, especially when the bare tree branches are illuminated by the moon and the lights of the town barely broke through the deep trees of the forest leaving just a small glimmer in sorten places barely penetrating the complete darkness. It was getting quite chilly the cold wind of halloween went through our Halloween costumes forcing are bodies to shiver but still we didn't turn back.

"Come on James, lets go back home, its darned cold here." Whined little Timmy. We all silently nodded. But James being James refused to listen. He was the eldest among us and also the biggest bully if he wanted to be.

"Fine," he snapped," If you want to go, leave, but all those who go will be labeled cowards for being scared of our new neighbors." He smirked. Now he hit the nerve. None of us boys would ever risk such a stigma.

So, grudging him, we all followed the path to the house. The roads here were gravel and the stones emitted a creepy sound when our feet hit them. It was getting on our nerves, chills ran down our spines every time something perfectly natural felt spooky.

Even the wind was scarring us. It howled loudly and then whinnied a bit and then howled again. This was the night when even nature was celebrating Halloween