Bonus Scenes: Infatuation

Jane gazed at her reflection in the mirror of Adam’s backstage dressing room, smoothing her hair with her hands. She glanced down again at her watch with a sigh. It had already been half an hour since the live taping of The Voice ended, and she wondered how much longer Adam would be stuck doing the post-show interviews. They hadn’t had time to exchange more than a quick hello and a peck on the lips when she saw him before the show. She had just arrived in LA this afternoon and came straight to the studio from the airport.

She was wearing a low-cut, short-sleeved blouse, and she looked around the room now for a thermostat to turn down the blasting A/C. Her eyes fell instead on a leather motorcycle jacket that Adam had left draped across the back of his makeup chair. She picked it up and slipped her arms into the sleeves, wrapping it around herself as she settled into the chair. The jacket was cut to hit him at the waist, but on her it hung down past her hips. She pulled one side of it over her face for a moment and inhaled deeply, closing her eyes and smiling to herself as she thought again of the song he’d performed on stage an hour before.

***

Four days earlier

“Guess,” said the voice on the other end of the phone. Jane felt the smile on her face giving way to a yawn. It was after 3 AM in New York and past midnight his time. They both should be asleep, but he wanted to play guessing games instead.

“Is this going to be what our marriage is like?” she asked. “One long game of Name That Tune?”

Adam laughed. “You’re just stalling because you’re stumped.”

“Ummm, Let’s Get It On?” she guessed.

He laughed again. “OK. Here’s a hint. The answer is never going to be Let’s Get It On.”

Jane pouted into the phone. “But I like that song!”

“Fine. Maybe I’ll sing it to you at the wedding.”

She giggled. “That would be a memorable first dance.”

“Anyway, it’s not gonna be a cover.”

“What? You’re having Team Adam do a Maroon 5 song?”

“Yep.”

“The producers are letting you get away with that?”

“They weren’t totally thrilled with the idea,” he confessed. Now there was an understatement, he thought to himself. The week had started out with him and his remaining team members slated to perform a Bob Dylan cover on next Monday’s live episode of the Voice. They’d gotten half way through the first rehearsal, and everyone had sounded great on it except for him. He kept forgetting the words. He’d realized after the fourth or fifth failed run-through that it was because he had the bridge to a different song stuck in his head.

I’m so attracted to you.
The feeling’s mutual too.
And I get scared the moment you leave.
Get so hot I forget to breathe.

He’d been forgetting to breathe all week. After he’d popped the question on Sunday, he and Jane had only had the one night together before he had to catch a flight back to LA the next day. She’d considered dropping everything and coming with him, but she had too many loose ends in New York. She needed a week to wrap things up, so they’d agreed that she would stay behind and come join him in LA the following Monday.

They’d spent every night this week talking on the phone into the wee hours. He kept straining to analyze her voice for any trace of anxiety, but so far she sounded relaxed. Happy and relaxed. Not a breakup text message in sight. He tried to take comfort in her good mood, but he couldn’t quite manage to suppress the doubts in the back of his mind. She’d said yes to his proposal, but it wasn’t the first marriage proposal she’d ever accepted, was it? None of it meant anything if she didn’t get on the plane on Monday.