8. Mason

Mason.

I rolled up the sleeves of my button up shirt and ran a hand through my hair to give it a little fluffiness. It would be a lie to say that I wasn't shitting bricks out of nerves.

It was finally friday night, the day I'd been waiting for. My date with Iris.

"Don't screw this up, dude." Adam chuckled at me through the mirror I was standing in front of.

"Thanks." I sighed with sarcasm, straightening myself out for the one hundredth time. To be perfectly honest I'd never been so nervous to go on a date in my life. I was used to being the one that didn't have to impress the other. I never cared too much about relationships or girls. But Iris was someone I'd grown accustomed to having around, and she had qualities that intriuged me.

"What if it goes horribly and she doesn't even want to be friends anymore?" I was working myself up, of course. It was just one of my many nervous habits.

Adam rolled his eyes. "She already knows about how much you like that dancing show. If she's stuck by you this far, there isn't much you can do at this point to scare her away."

"But-"

I was quickly interrupted by Adam again. "You need to pick her up now. It's almost seven. Have my car back by twelve, alright?"

After lots of begging on my knees, Adam agreed to let me use his car so I could take Iris somewhere outside of the city for a change. My car was in the shop, and it was a piece of shit to be honest. Iris and I pretty much walked everywhere anyway. Adam decided to wait at my apartment for his car, so I ordered him a pizza as a thank you.

"Wish me luck." I muttered as he dropped his car keys into the palm of my hand.

"You'll need it." He replied with a sly expression on his face.

I gave myself one last look in the mirror, petted Milo, and then I was out the door and ready to blow Iris away with my creativity. Adam had helped me plan the whole thing out considering the fact that he had much more experience than me.

As I drove to Iris's apartment, I sang along with the radio in order to distract myself. It had worked until I pulled up to see the beautiful girl waiting in front of her building for me.

"Wow." I whispered to myself, trying not to move my lips seeing as she was looking right at me. I noticed she was wearing a little bit more makeup than usual, and this was the first time I saw her in a dress. I couldn't wait to offer her the jacket that I brought along.

I stumbled out of the car and met her halfway between the curb and where I'd pulled up. She didn't say anything, smiling before pulling me into a short hug.

"You look beautiful." I told her, watching the rosy tinge on her cheeks appear out of nowhere.

"Thanks." Iris let out a little nervous laugh and followed me to the passenger's side. Adam made sure to tell me to be a gentleman and do little things like open and close the car doors for her and acknowlege the fact that she was a beautiful human being inside and out.

"Whose car is this?" Iris asked when we started to drive down the road.

"Adam's." I replied. "He let me borrow it for tonight."

"That was nice of him." She said, maybe mostly to herself. "So where are we going?"

"Should I tell you?" I pondered.

"Of course, Mason. I think I of all people should know where I'll be spending my evening." And there it was, the end of the nervous tension. Maybe it didn't feel romantic between us yet, but she knew how to make me comfortable.

I laughed at her and just shook my head.

"Does that mean you won't say?" Iris frowned at me as we hit traffic.

"I'll give you a hint."

"Okay, go for it." She prompted me.

"It's not in the city."

"Wait just a second, are you feeding me? Because an understanding we should probably have is that I like when you feed me. Food is very important to me, as you know." She explained with a serious expression on her face.

"Oh I know, believe me." Iris was obsessed with my cooking, well my mom's cooking with my hands. She constantly urged me to make something whenever we were together.

"Is that a yes or a no?"

"Yes, Iris, we will be eating." I sighed in impatience. Who did she think I was? Honestly.

"Good, good." The way she bobbed her head up and down made things a little bit awkward but in a humorous way. I liked her sweet personality and the way she learned to be herself around me.

"I've been thinking, we've maybe known each other for a month or so, right?" She mused.

"Right."

"I can't say I know too much about you. Maybe I know the basics but I'm not too sure what you're into besides cooking and dancing shows." Iris was right, but maybe that was a good thing. I didn't know that much about her either and maybe it was okay that way.

"What do you want to know?" I obliged.

"Do you plan to get married in the future?" Bold.

"I'd never thought it would be possible for me to find someone until recently." I hinted at the fact that I was implying that I could see myself with her on a long term basis, but she didn't seem to analyze it.

"Honestly I can't wait to get married and settle down. I have life all planned out but who knows what'll actually happen." Iris said. "Do you want kids?"

I gave her a funny look. "Are we just pulling out all of the stops right now?"

She giggled at me but motioned for me I answer the question anyway. Why was she asking questions about myself that I didn't know any answers to?

"I have no idea. I think whatever happens, happens. If that means having kids, great." I shrugged, hoping that was a good answer. Judging by the smile on her face, it was.

After about thirty minutes of talking, we finally escaped the traffic and made our way out of the city. I planned to take her to a nice park that happened to be lit up at night with lights, have a simple picnic, talk, share romantic moments, and maybe kiss at the end of the night.

If only things went as they were planned.