Face in the Alley part 4. FINAL

As I told you before, I left the council three days ago. I left by my own will, and ran as far as I could. I knew that when they had found what I had done, they would hunt me to the ends of the earth.

I knew that before the night had closed, and another day had begun, they would find Joeseefus, dead.

The council did not have an official meeting place. No grand castles, no underground networks with paintings, and rare artifacts. When we called a meeting, we spread the word. Word travels fast in our world. The last meeting, scheduled to happen tonight, was supposed to take place in some caves beneath a radio station near Riley, West Virginia. Joeseefus and I showed up three days, nights actually, early. To scope everything out. We had a good laugh at a radio station sign that advertised "Hot Adult Contemporary."

"Hot adult contemporary what?" I said.

"I'm not sure, should we ask?" Joeseefus laughed.

Its hard to tolerate anyone for long amounts of time. I really didn't like Joseefus, thought he was breaking rules made by the council, but had no proof. I stayed on the council only to make sure rules, and laws didn't get out of hand. I wanted to keep an eye on the guys in charge if you know what I mean. After we checked out the location he turned to me and said. "I am going into Riley to get be a snack. I'll be back soon." He pointed out over the mountains to the east, and you could see the sky lit up from the lights of the town, glowing in the darkness.

I let him go without saying anything, but got suspicious when he didn't come back within an hour. He would have gotten to town In five minutes. It would have taken him all of three minutes to find someone to feed on; even in their house. He could have done it all blindfolded and still been back there in 15 minutes. I felt like something was going on so I followed his scent. If I wouldn't have been running they would have had time to hide what they had done. But I was, and they never had a chance.

I followed his scent into town. Old downtown buildings once made of red brick, now fading and broken down, decorated the west side of town. I ran into an alley that was dark, and humid. Trash littered both sides. It smelled of blood, piss, and vomit. There was another smell though. It was the smell of innocents. I could identify that smell anywhere.

When I came up on them, I couldn't believe what I seen. I have been alive for 6000 years and have seen much cruelty, and death, but rarely had I seen cruelty like this. A semi truck had been backed into the alley, and the back of the truck was let down. Inside were children, male and female, of all ages. They sat in a cage placed into the back of the semi, Joeseefus, and another vampire, a fairly young one, named David were giving the children food. None of the children had been killed, but they all looked dead. Eyes shrunken in, ribs sticking out, the smells I had detected earlier emanated from the truck like the smell of death on a strong wind.

I knew immediately what they had been doing. They had been feeding on these children - probably missing from all over the world - and not quite killing them. Nursing them back to health and draining them again. The back of that semi was hell, and the ramp was the doorway, handicap accessible of course.

Before Joeseefus could react I had Davids head off his shoulders, his heart pulled out of his chest, and staked to the ground with a piece of metal I found on the ground nearby. I saw Joeseefus speeding toward me. I almost let him have me. I was tired of being a Vampire, tired of sucking blood, tired of seeing what cruelty both the Vampire, and the Human races were capable of. But I couldn't not yet. Those children would not be left in th back of that semi hell for Joeseefus. He had to die.

I dodged to the right, Joeseefus's hand just skimmed my shirt. I seen a gas pipe running down a the side of one of the buildings, and ripped it free. I turned around to see Joeseefus had done the same. Natural gas spewed from both sides of the alley, the gas making a whistling sound as it came racing out of its broken housing.