Behind the Wrong Bars

New story about the faulted justice system and the results of bribery and framing. Of course, this will be far funnier than 'Law Abiding Citizen'. Think of it as the 'funny take on what happens when someones pays to get you to end up in the wrong prison'. Pls Comment, I don't really care about the votes anymore. And, most importantly, please enjoy. Oh, by the way, some serious themes do come up in here, so for those who are kind of squeamish, I would stay turn back, but at the same time, keep reading because as dark as it gets, this story shall remain humorous to the best of my abilities.

Prologue -- If the Devil wears a suit, I'll take the cuffs

"The jury has conversed and found the defendant guilty!"

The strong voice of the standing jury member rung in my ears, louder than the cries erupting from the crowd and the sound of the Judge's hammer hitting the wooden plate under it.

Trying to be heard over the furious crowd, the jury member who had spoken the verdict tried to continue with the charges.

"As the result of second degree murder, the defendant would receive 30 years, but due to a clean record thus far, the duration has been lowered to the minimum of 19." The man continued. I stared blankly at the hard wood desk in front of me. 19 years?

That was the entire part of my life that counted - gone.

Because of something that I did not do. My mind did not process the words that followed. 19 years still floated around inside my skull. 19 years? I should have counted myself lucky, it was the minimum punishment for second-degree murder. But still. I would be 38 by the time I got out. Thirty-eight.

I sighed and slowly pushed myself out of the chair I had been seated in for the past five hours. It had been a terribly long trial, just to come up with the fact that they were not going to show lenience with me.

My lawyer patted my shoulder. I looked up at him and smiled wryly. I did not blame him for losing my trial. There was nothing we could do, both he and I had known it since we had seen the rich daddy who had been accusing me for the murder of his son.

I glared at the fat man and his equally fat lawyer. Corrupted politicians, the lot of them. The over-weight man in the red suit smiled sickeningly at me. As much as I had hoped it was because he had won the trial, I knew that there was something else. Something else he had done to make my life just a little bit more like hell. The comforting weight of my lawyer and friend's hand on my shoulder did little to soothe me as the guard came to slap handcuffs around my wrists. I tried to calm my racing heart.

I could not believe that I was going to prison. I simply could not believe it.

The cold metal froze the blood in my veins. Metaphorically, but still. I turned to my friend again.

"I'm going to miss you, Tom." I smiled lightly. Tom could not bring himself to smile and I could see in his grey eyes that he felt terrible. "And thanks for trying." I added.

I leaned against my friends chest, trying to convey a hug as best I could. Tom's arm wound around my shoulders. "I'm sorry. So sorry." He whispered as he leaned down. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Eh, it's fine." I muttered. We both knew it was not. I could hear my mother cry in the background, and my father trying to soothe her. I moved back from Tom and looked at them. My grey-blue eyes misted for a moment, before I looked away. I turned back to my lawyer. "Hey, Tom. Look after mum and dad. And tell them I'm off to camp, I'll be back in 19 years." I joked. Tom nodded gravely, a small smile hanging on the edges of his mouth.