Autonomy (Complete)

Autonomy

Bernadette Montano Gabot

To start with, let me disect the word autonomy. Auto refers to you or to oneself while nomy comes from the word nomos means mind or it could also be management or managing.

When we were young, we often disobey our parents. Like when we are supposed to sleep in the afternoon, we don't. When we are supposed to eat vegetables, we eat the meat. When we are told to do things, we don't follow it and a lot of things that made our parents very angry. 

But as we mature, we come to understand and follow the orders of our parents. We know that they are doing this and that because it is the right thing. Most of the time, we would let them decide for us.

But when will be the time, for a child to decide on his own? I've been thinking about it many times since I became a candidate for graduation in high school. It was the time for choosing the right course for me to take.

My mother said I should take Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management. It is somewhat related to the work of my mother. So I said, Fine. I took the examination for the college entrance examination. Before the results came out, she told me again to change my course into Engineering. Again I answered, Fine.

By now, you might be asking yourself why I keep on following her orders. Am I right? If so this is my answer. That's because I know that she is right and I am afraid that if I decide on my own. I might just create a mistake that will change my whole life. Another is because I am afraid of regrets.

But let me tell you what happened in the end. When I enrolled, I changed my course into Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. It is the course I know that I can finish. I decided it on my own.

At first, I was very terrified. I am not sure of what I have done. But I continued still because I am happy with my decision.

I am very thankful though because in spite of my short comings, God still blessed me with people whom I'd like to call as good-influences. I am able to adopt to my environment and I am happy for what I have decided to do. The result of my decision will come four years later. I still hope. I am right of about it.

As for now, my mother asked me to change my course in the coming second semester. And that course is accountancy. I am really having troubles with numbers so I told her ahead that I won't.

For my readers, this is my message to you.

Before you decide, it is best to consult the advice of people who could answer it sensibly. (If possible the elders). Know the consequences of your decisions and other possibilities. And remember learn to decide on your own and be responsible of the consequences... You need advice but you will still be the one to decide.