✧Chapter 1 : The Distant Past✧

One could almost taste freedom upon seeing a glimpse of the sun's light when caged in this underground city full of vampires for so long. History knows what had taken place under the vast blue sky where humans once lived and roamed as they pleased.

Only the vampires knew the cause of the mass deaths of older humans beings - some say it was due to a deadly virus, some say it was just the short human lifespan. Sadly, the surviving young children, slightly before the age for puberty, are captured and utilized by vampires.

The nightwalkers promised the children protection in exchange for their life source - blood. These poor children are seen as walking blood-bags and treated like livestock left to suffer without knowing what the future will hold for them...

Welcome to Sanguinem.

_______________________________

"Mikaela Hyakuya."

A short blond messy haired boy with beautiful ocean-blue eyes stood in front of a bored vampire, who was checking off the childrens' identities before they have their blood drawn. If the vampire was not ordered to not suck the children's blood while on the job, he would in a flash drain the blood of these pitiful weak children.

The blond boy named Mika proceeded to join a small group of children that was about his age. He grabbed a juice pouch that the vampires required for the livestocks to drink in order to replenish their blood after drawing blood. The group of children all wore the standard livestock uniform and were bare-foot. The boys wore white capri shorts and a white hooded shirt, while the girls wore a similar outfit but in dress version.

"Yuichiro Hyakuya."

A young boy with jet black hair and piercing emerald-like eyes stubbornly walked up to the vampire in a hostile manner. The vampire rolled his eyes and waved him off. The boy stormed off towards Mika and the other children. He had a juice pouch in his hand, but did not open it. Yuichiro, the boy's name, grumbled, "Ugh, why do they make us drink this gross juice? One day I am going to cleanse this world of those rotten vampires...!"

Mika chuckled softly, "You are always saying that, Yuu. I would like to think that way too, but why not just conform? It is better to not cause too much trouble. Life is not too bad here.."

Yuu made a disgusted face and threw his juice pouch at Mika, "No thanks. I hate vampires. They fake being so noble and mighty all the time. They deserve to be exterminated."

While the two conversed, a girl with her brown hair in a one sided braid, named Akane, whispered urgently, "Look! The nobles are coming!"

The smaller children quickly huddled behind Yuu and Mika in fear of the noble vampires who were approaching them. Mika immediately recognized one of the nobles: Ferid Bathory.

He has long silver hair that reached to his hips with bangs and a lock of hair over both ears. He keeps his hair up in a ponytail with a long red ribbon. With elf-like ears and visible sharps fangs, Ferid has red predator-like eyes like any other vampire. He was not just a noble though, he is the respected seventh progenitor known to be merciless and sadistic in his ways.

"Ah-hah! Here are the other cute little livestocks! Look who I have here who will be joining you today!" slurred Ferid, as he pulled a small figure from behind him.