The Dream

The Dream, A Flash Fiction Story |  © 2012 Dan Absalonson

I had the dream again.

He was flying above me as he sliced into me with his mocking tongue, the pink blade that cuts sharper than that wretched dagger of his. A child should not have such wit, but then he is no child. Unlike his body his mind has grown with time spent in this Neverland, yet his rash youthful courage has not budged. No one else dares to call me, the great Captain James Hook, a codfish.

The feather in his green cap flitted in the wind as he flew, dancing like the crocodile’s tail below us. I looked at where my hand had been and saw blood pour forth like a fountain. Below the crocodile ate up the copper taste of me, licking his lips for more.

We fight until he knocks me down and I fall to the sharp teeth waiting for me. The gleaming skull white knives of his oblong mouth receive me, and as they clamp down I can hear the laughter of the boy fading as I wake to this reality. Stuck on a ship with a crew that grows mutinous. I drink a hot shot of rum, screw on my hook, call for Smee, and hope that it was the last time I will have the dream.

THE END

Thanks for reading my story. Here’s a special treat, listen to an audio version of the story here:

http://ia600804.us.archive.org/28/items/TheDreamDanDanTheArtManBonusEpisode/TheDream.mp3