No Contract

"I am not in love with you," Jason stated from his spot as he inched closer to me, as if to make this confession more intimate. But I knew better.

He continued bringing out a rose from behind his back, "but I would be lying if I told you that I only want you as a friend."

At this point my frown was twisted in utmost confusion. Before I could bring myself to question him on this bizarre outburst, he puts up his hand to signal he hasn't finished.

"I want more, yet I'm not ready for a real relationship with the commitment. My mom is starting to wonder if I should go on blind dates, and you know I hate those the most. I just need to be in a fake and somewhat stable and romantic relationship. I know you can give that to me," he takes another step closer. He dropped the rose and closed the distance between us.

I took a step back processing all of this information, "um...?"

"Be my fake girlfriend... please?" Jason spilled his heart out to me.

He looked at me with pleading eyes that held an intense look. One hand was holding my hand in his, while the other hand was placed on my shoulder. He held me and rested his forehead on top of mine.

"Please help me," he whispered.

My hands were frozen to my side. My eyes were as wide as a deer caught standing in the middle of the road about to get hit. I could feel goosebumps rise on my arms and uncontrollably shivered slightly. I had a bad feeling about this. Someone is going to get hurt for sure. But that thought didn't help in my decision at all. For my stupid mouth spoke on its own once I looked up and made eye contact with the unknown.

"Yes. I will help you," I heard myself say.

Jason pulled back and looked at me surprised with his mouth agape before suddenly pulling me into a bear hug.

"Really?" he asked excited after pulling back.

"No... I said that on whim," I tried to back out.

The drop in his mood was so noticeable I immediately felt bad for deceiving him.

"I'm kidding silly," I chuckle to ease the tension, "you have much to learn about me," I punch him playfully in the chest, but enough to slightly hurt him for putting me in this kind of situation.

"Ow," he rubs his chest but grins and me anyways.

"I promise this will only take 9 months. After that, we can break up and I'll be free from my mother's prying eyes. No contract. I trust you as I hope you trust my word as well," he winked at me with a smirk.

I shrugged my shoulders, "no problem amigo".

2 years and 3 months later from our breakup and I have yet to bump into Jason again. Sure we have talked on the phone, Skyped, and sent snapchat stories to each other. But I have not seen him since. Instead of the typical love story where the fake arrangements became real ones. We just went from acquaintances to best friends. But I miss my best friend. So we had planned for him to come see me in my new place tomorrow. I wonder if he is feeling the butterflies as well.

Meet Jason Martin.

Meet Aba Carson.

Once simple coincidences seem like fate to these two, they start to realize maybe it was never a fake relationship in the first place.