ER3

ER3, A Flash Fiction Story | © 2013 Dan Absalonson

“Come on buddy, it’s time to go get your new model. You ready? I bet you’re excited!”

“I really don’t want a new model Dad. ER3 works great. He just had his yearly tune up a few months ago.”

“I know son, but we’ve talked about this. ER3 won’t be able to keep up with your school work anymore. You need to have at least an ER11 for your curriculum, and they just came out with the fourteens. You haven’t been able to update his OS in years. I’ve worked really hard for this Connor, for you.”

“Come on Dad. I can hack him and make him run that latest stuff. It’ll be fine. He has enough hardware updates to do it. It’ll save you money.”

“No son. That would void the lifetime guarantee. My son won’t be stuck with an old generation model anymore.”

Silence.

“Okay dad, but can’t I keep him? Please? I’ve had him since I was little.”

“Connor you can’t be serious. He’s just a machine. Besides we get a huge discount if we return him when we go to buy your new one. Come on you should be excited about this! You’ve been telling us for years how cool the newer models are.”

“Yeah, but I like my ER3. He knows me. We move around so much, and he’s always been there for me.”

“We got him for you to be your teacher and help you with your school work.”

“I know dad, but I don’t do school work all day. He’s my . . .”

“He’s your what?”

“Nevermind.”

“No, what? He’s your what Connor?”

Connor didn’t like his dad’s tone of voice. He pondered for a moment which would make him more upset, to answer him or to stay silent. He decided to answer him, cringing while he did so.

“He’s my best friend Dad.”

“What did you just say?”

Roger looked down at his son in disgust, then turned and stomped out of the room. He stopped in the doorway and turned back.

“You don’t appreciate all I do for you and mom do you? Some kind of thanks I get for finally buying you the new model. I’ll be downstairs. You and ER3 better be down in the next five minutes, and you better be excited, or you can just forget about your birthday party.”

It was hard for Connor to get his next words out. His vision was blurred with tears, and he was shuddering. He no longer cared if he made his dad angry.

“Fine! I don’t know any of the kids coming anyway! They’re all just kids of people you work with! They’re not my friends! Three is my friend!”

Connor ran to his door and slammed it shut.

“Oh that’s great. Gloria? Will you come and deal with your ungrateful son? I’ll get the craft warmed up, and then we’re going. You tell him I don’t want to hear another word about it.”

Connor ran over to his Education Robot and hugged him. The robot comforted him through his onboard speakers with his speech software.

“It is going to be alright Connor. You will always have a copy of me on your personal drive.”

“It won’t be the same three, and it will be like you’re in a prison.”

“But at least I will always be with you Connor. It will be alright.”

THE END

Thanks for reading my flash fiction story ER3. This story is also available in audio. Find it here:

http://www.dandantheartman.com/2013/02/short-stories-of-dandantheartman-11-er3.html