Prologue

As I walked through these lit-up streets, my mind seemed to wander at things that seemed to fall into place. Living in a neighborhood that doesn't seem nice, but rather poor-like is not as good as it may seem, for those who are rich and snobby anyway, like the socs for example.  The socs are the total opposite of the people here; they drive fancy cars, wear great clothes, and live in houses that seemed well-built. As for us greasers, God for bid if you walked alone, you could possibly get jumped. We normally never walk alone much. As the nighttime breeze blew through my hair as I hugged myself for warmth, even though I had a jacket on, I heard an engine running as I heard the sound of tires slowing down. That's when I knew I was being followed once I looked back. I ran for my life as if a dog was chasing me through the neighborhood. Once they caught up, I was pushed down on the blacktop, getting beaten and kicked. By the time the horror was over, they drove away quickly. I got up, wincing in pain. When you're a greaser, you find it hard to fit into society. As I was limping home, I wondered why I always got bad things happening to me. Once I reached home, tears had already went down my cheeks. As I walked in the door, my older brother Keith looked at me with a plain expression as Mickey was playing once again. He stood up moments later, becoming angry. "Who did this to you?" My angry brother had asked. "The socs," I mumbled. Once he heard what I said, he got his leather jacket. 

"Two-Bit, where you going?" 

"To find the socs who jumped you." 

"But Two-Bit--"

"I'm not having my sister get beat up by a bunch of rich lowlifes who do nothing but brag about how perfect their lives are. I'm tired of seeing you get hurt by them, Hazel."

Once he said that with rage and fury, Two-Bit walked out the door. My mother placed a hand on my shoulder as we walked up the stairs. As I got cleaned up, I kept thinking about what just happened with those socs. That was when I needed to find my true, real self. I wanted to explore the world and be able to find out who I actually am. One of these days, I will be able to find out who I am, just need to find the right time to do so.