Prologue

Prologe - Don't Come Chasing Me

I walked alongside the small long cobblestone road, paying attention to nothing but the ground. The icy winds of late fall caused me to pull my red jacket around me tighter and search the pockets for my mittens. I check the right pocket and found a pair of old worn leather gloves, probably my mother's. I quickly slipped them on, bringing some warmth to my freezing hands.

The sun was slowly rising in the sky appearing as bright yellow light. All around me, nature was waking up and a few birds had already started singing their morning songs. Squirrels were getting up and climbing out of the leave-less trees, ready to do some last minute acorn hiding.

I came across a small park filled with benches, carved with the most simple yet fancy flower and leaf patterns. There was also a small amount trees that looked like the were planted just the year before. In the center of everything there was a medium sized pond with dying water lilies and cat tails. I strolled up to the edge of the pond and stared at my reflexion. I studied my face's complexion and the color of my hair.

I looked so different with my light brown hair that fell in soft curls along my shoulders. As for my eyes had changed from the dark mossy green that they always were, to a lighter and softer green. I was amazed at how much one could change over the summer, and not realize it til' they actually look closer. It was amazing that no one really seemed to notice the little small things, that made up exactly who a person was inside and out.

It took all of my will to keep from crying as I slowly walked away from the park. I tried to remember why exactly I had decided to leave. I had locked the reason to my leaving away in the back of my mind for a reason, a reason I couldn't quite remember either.

I felt empty though, knowing a memory was now erased from my brain. Why wasn't I complete without the memory? Why did I need it to keep feeling normal? More importantly, what was the memory?

A million questions raced through my mind as I stepped back out onto the sidewalk. No one was out and about yet, probably absorbing the last minutes of sleep before they had to get to work. They were the lucky ones, able to stay home not trying to run away from a memory and the people that had caused it.

Of course people like them had terrible memories too, that they may want to escape from but didn't. But what makes my memory so hurtful and dangerous that is causing me to leave?

I shook my head, trying to erase all of the thoughts from my mind. I had only one thing to focus on currently. And that was where I was going, and how I was getting there. Nothing else was more important to me as I walked down the side walk, getting farther and farther away from my house and my home town.

I glanced around at the street signs, trying to decide which way to go. I had to think hard, trying to remember which road led to the closet train or bus station. After a few minutes I was able to recall the exact route to a train station, that I had used often over the past summers.

I remember visiting my cousins almost every day, going swimming in their pool or just playing out in the sprinklers. It made me sad to think about leaving them, but I had to. If I didn't get away as soon as possible, I knew he'd come after me, making sure I came back.

But I couldn't let that happen. I knew if anyone came chasing me, they'd bring back the memory and the pain that comes with it. I didn't want to have that memory anymore, I wanted to be free from it. There was a reason that it's locked away, and there's a reason it's not coming back.