Chapter 14: Intrusions and Offers

Winning Choice: Let the car go and head home to check on Nicole.

Recap: Brandon just rescued an innocent man at a hospital after Mandeville placed a bomb around the man's neck. Nicole texted him that someone was lurking around the house, but at the same time Brandon spotted a car speeding away that may have caught video of him using his powers...

The Corvette peels away, but if Nicole is that worried I had better let the car go and check in on her. And with the cops approaching I don’t want to start another showdown. The guy I rescued seems okay, and gawks after me as I speed away into the sky.

You wouldn’t think it’s as tricky as it is to find your way around while flying. Or maybe I just suck at it. But I’m used to driving around, turning left here and turning right over there. I don’t know what all the buildings and streets look like from overhead. You also can’t fly too high because you can’t see squat up there. Everything looks the same. 

I finally get oriented and make my way towards home trying not to fly so low I get spotted, but not so high I get lost. I feel ridiculously conspicuous.

When I read about superheroes in comic books they never seem to have these problems. Their whole world is set up for them, and people walking down the street just think "Oh, there's somebody in spandex flying about and throwing buildings. Must be Tuesday." When I'm the only one doing these things I stand out a lot more than I'd like.

Even with my learning issues it isn't long before I'm floating over our house. There are a few cars out in the street but nothing crazy that I can see, so I land quietly and quickly in the back yard. I peek in the back door, ready to sneak in as I did yesterday. I don't see anyone, so open the door and slip inside.

"Brandon!" Nicole runs around the corner, but her smile drops as she sees the burnt, smoking ruin that was my clothing. "What the hell happened?"

"It's been a rough morning. You said someone was-" 

She holds up her hands to cut me off. "Wait, yes, I should have texted you back. There’s a bit of a problem.”

“Now what?” 

She heads back into the living room and gestures for me to follow. There, on the floor, out cold, is the kid with the Prius I commandeered! Nicole shrugs at me apologetically.

“Okay, I don’t even know where to start! What is he doing here?” I ask.

“You know him? He was poking around outside.”

“Remember I told you I swiped someones’ car yesterday? It was his. But how did he find me?” I ask.

“No idea,” she says.

“And why is he unconscious?”

Nicole looks a little embarrassed at this one. “He rang the bell, and I was starting to freak out. I didn’t know where you were, and with those videos of you being on the news and all I wasn’t thinking clearly. So I answered the door, and he demanded to see you. Said he knew who you were.”

“Did he attack you?”

“No, he was just super pushy. And when I tried to close the door he pushed his way inside. Said he needed to talk with you. So… um… I hit him.”

“You hit him!”

“Yeah. With a frying pan,” she said, rather sheepishly.

I burst out laughing. 

“It’s not funny! I was in the kitchen when I heard him outside and it was the heaviest thing I saw nearby. So I grabbed it!”

I’m still grinning, which apparently is not appreciated.