Chapter 1

It 1:00pm and the skies are completely dark.
The only lights left are the artificial ones. It's been like this for exactly one week I miss the Sun so much I miss feeling it's warm rays on my skin I miss it's mark of red it leaves.
"Davina, the president is on T.V again!" My mother shouted from the living room for a moment I debated going downstairs it's been the same thing all week the president talks about how we need to come together as a country and not panic. Every time he would say something like this I snickered how is it possible for us not to panic? It's always freezing outside we have to wear at least 3 layers of heavy clothing we also have the burning fact in the back of our mind that eventually all the trees will die and they give us oxygen and we need oxygen. Or else.. My grim thought was interrupted by my mothers voice.
"Davina it's important" my mother called again
I sighed and made my way downstairs and into the living room. My mother was curled up on the couch with my 13 year old brother Ashton they had about 10 blankets on them and were staring at the tv screen.
"Well, what's he saying"
"He just started his speech" my mother said with a little worry in her voice
I sat on the couch and looked at the tv he was saying the basic stuff I have been hearing for the last week then he said something that caught my attention
"The United States Of America Government and NASA have been working together to find a solution to our ever growing problem we have had a project we have been working on for a while now in case of this issue. We call it Mission 500 we are finally ready to take 500 people into a new Galaxy we have discovered where life is believed to be. We are taking those ages 12-18 that qualify for the mission to carry on the human race the list of those coming will be released tomorrow at 8:30am further instructions will follow. Thank you and stay safe"
Nobody said anything for a moment I'm sure in that one moment no one in America said anything one moment of silence before complete chaos.
"Mom,what does he mean by all that" Ashton said with extreme worry in his voice
"He means exactly what he said" Mom said shaking her head.
"They are only gonna pick the super genius kids" I said grimly
"That's not fair the rest of us should get to live too" Ashton said in a concerned voice.
"I know" my mother and I said at the same time.
After that we all decided we should try to get some sleep. I went upstairs into my bedroom and looked at my reflection I touched the lavender dot behind my ear and thought of my birthmother and father I then wondered how it got there I wonder that every day of my life. My mother said it was there when she found me alone and in the desert just a baby I wonder how a person could just leave a baby in the desert it seems so inhuman and selfish just awful. I have been to so many doctors and they have never found how it's possible it has not caused any issues so what's the point of taking it off. My thoughts drifted back to my birthmother if she was still alive and if she was how was she handling all of this?

I picked up a brush and brushed my light brown hair that fell just 2 inches below my shoulders I then looked closer in the mirror and looked closely at my light blue eyes and the freckles that sprinkle across my nose and my cheeks. I often did this examined myself and wonder if my appearance was the reason of being left in the desert. I doubt it though just me being 16 and insecure not unheard of at all I do not dislike the way I looked except for maybe my height I'm only 5"3 short compared to all my friends. Tonight though I did feel insecure I knew that they were only picking the smart kids I'm not dumb but I'm certainly not some genius. I do want to be picked only because I don't want to die at 16.

  And that's the last thought I can remember.