Chapter 79 - Mae Day

I woke the next morning to the beautiful smiley but very sleepy face of Suri. Bed hair everywhere and just as cuddled up together as we were when we fell asleep. We both snuggled tighter and giggled before sighing as we decided to have a lie in.

We were woke by Lee's parents in the kitchen. I had forgotten that we rang them last night so she could say goodnight and invited them over to see her.

"Granddad!" Suri said as she opened her eye wide and spun out of the bed like a Tasmanian devil.

I hurried out of the bed just in time to see her throw herself at him. He hugged and kissed her to pieces just as Lee would have. Fluffed her bed hair as she snuggled her head into his shoulder and settled there whilst he pulled a bowl out to make her some cereal. All the while giving her reassuring kisses on her head and asking her if she was happy to be home with mummy.

She nodded quietly but I knew she was holding back the tears as she became overwhelmed at how much she had missed her grandfather and how much he would remind her of her father who she missed more than anyone. A few seconds later even though she tried her best the tears started and she cried for her daddy again.

It started as few shuddery breaths but then she sobbed her heart out and I could feel her trying to stop so she didn't upset anyone but I could also feel her heartbreak. She loved everyone in this room but if her father walked in she would leave with him forever. She missed him so much that her tiny heart felt squashed without him... that is how she thought of it. She missed his cuddles, his kisses, his smell and his voice. She wanted him to walk through that door and sweep her up in his arm, tell everything was going to be ok.

Lee's mother wiped away her own tears as she watched her husband kissing their grandchild's away and heard her sobs of 'Daddy,' over and over. We watched her granddad rock his granddaughter in the kitchen like she was the most precious thing in the world.

"How are the kids?" I asked thinking of the others.

"Fine, they are at cubs," she said buttering some toast. "Did she sleep well?"

"Cried herself to sleep, wet herself in the middle of the night and finally settled about 4:00."

"Sorry to wake you and let ourselves in, we were just keen to see her and..."

"No need to apologise. It is your apartment and she is your grandchild I understand the draw to see her as much as anyone."

"Did you do the test?" she asked nodding to my womb.

"No, Conrad broke it but insists I am, as his demon senses tell him or something like that," I sighed.

"Well I have one in my bag. It was just in case you hadn't got a chance to get out and I know how people stare, so if you want to... no pressure I am just..."

"No that would be great, I need the loo and it's first thing in the morning so let's do it whilst the demon has left the building."

"If he is driving you insane, I can ban him from here," she offered.

"He's harmless and lets face it, I need the company. I don't do too well on my own," I said referring to the last time I was sent like a sheep among the wolves.

She grabbed her handbag off the side and passed me the test. Suri's grandfather was spoon-feeding her some cereal as she sat on the side of the kitchen unit. She was loving the one on one time with him and he was doing 'one for you and one for me', helping her eat it.

I walked off to the toilet for my 'special wee' as that is what it felt like to me. I hadn't been feeling sick or anything, even though Conrad was determined he could tell I was preggers, I wasn't convinced. I walked back into the kitchen with the test stick.... come on be positive... I could feel both sets of grandparents eyes wishing the same thing as Suri wondered what was going on.