Thinking of You (Post-Battle of Hogwarts Fan Fiction) *IMPROVED*

Start from the beginning

Kitty’s head popped up. “Hogwart letters?” she exclaimed, hopefully. Rhea had already ripped hers open, speed-reading through the parchment. Rex just stared at his with trembling hands.

“Open it!” Riley ordered, pocketing the Quidditch cards into her pyjama pocket.

With shaky hands, he tore it open. The family watched nervously as a smile of relief crossed his face.

“I’m in!” he grinned, waving the letter excitedly. “I’m going to Hogwarts!”

Kitty wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tightly as his sisters cheered.

“I was hoping to take you to Diagon Alley today if your letter had arrived,” Kitty smiled, collapsing onto a chair. “But I’m so tired from last night. Plus I have to be on-call tonight.” She groaned at that before reaching for a slice of toast.

“But Mum!” Rhea whinged. “Taylor’s going to be there today. We were going to look at the Menagerie together!” Rhea’s birthday present had been the promise of a brand new pet from Diagon Alley alongside a subscription to Witch Weekly and a new set of Montrose Magpies Quidditch robes.

“I can’t though, sweetheart. Little Rex gets really sick from travelling on the Floo Network.” Rex nodded enthusiastically to demonstrate this. “Your dad was going to hire us a car from the Ministry but it all fell through at the last moment. Kingsley Shacklebolt had booked them all for the International Wizard Meeting. Maybe next week…” Rhea pouted miserably and used her knife to viciously kebab her final sandwich. “Hey, Rowen, sweetie. You haven’t opened your letter yet…”

The family turned towards her as she blushed slightly. Placing her finger underneath a loose bit on the envelope, she ripped it open. The envelope felt slightly heavier than usual. As she pulled the letter out, a small red and gold badge fell out. It hit the wooden table with a sharp bang whilst every eye in the room settled directly on it.

“Prefect?!” Kitty, Rhea and Rowena exclaimed at the exact same time as the golden “P” glowed in the sunlight.

“Congratulations!” Rowena’s mother reached across the table and enveloped her eldest daughter in a tight hug whilst Rhea scowled. “Both your father and I were prefects in our fifth year! He was Hufflepuff and I was Ravenclaw but still…” She burst into a flood of tears. “I’m so very proud of you.”

“Great!” Rhea sarcastically spat. “A prefect for a sister! You’ll be ratting me out to McGonagall every five minutes.”

“Perhaps if you spent more time studying hard instead of pulling silly pranks or flirting with older boys.” Kitty’s scowl mirrored her second daughter’s perfectly as she wiped her eyes. “Maybe you’ll be prefect next.” Rhea snorted at that before diving back into her magazine.

“We’ll throw a party tonight!” Kitty smiled before sighing, “Damn… I’m on-call…”

“Look, Mum, don’t worry about it. I don’t want you to fuss and all.”

“It’s no trouble. I’ll send an owl out to your Dad at work. He’ll be so proud! We always knew you could do it… And I’ll get him to pick something up for you on his way home! Is there anything you want especially?”

Rowena took only a moment to think about it before it came to her.

“Well, try-outs are in September and I want to make sure I get a place on the Gryffindor team again. Trevett left last year so we’ll have a new captain this year and I don’t want to lose my place on the team so is there any chance I can get a new broomstick?”

“What type?”

“Well, I was hoping to pop into Diagon Alley and have a look myself. The new Skydiver series are out and they seem pretty fast but the Nimbus 2001s are on special offer at Quality Quidditch Supplies.”