Chapter 1: Revival

Revival. A phenomenon not often spoken of. A phenomenon only a select few people experience in their lifetime. I am one of them. I experienced my first revival at the age of sixteen, the same moments repeating before my very eyes. When I did nothing, it kept repeating, making me relive those very seconds until I saw what was wrong.

I saw a little girl run onto the road, trying to retrieve her lost soccer ball. In a burst of unexplained energy, I rushed to her side pushing her from an oncoming truck onto a road island. That day there was only one casualty. Myself. I ended up in hospital for two weeks. My classmates were apologetic and the family was more than grateful for saving their daughter. My older brother, Elliot, was both angry and proud of me.

I remembered seeing a blue butterfly fly by me as I saved that little girl. I doodled it for weeks, months even, my confused mind trying to explain whatever this butterfly meant. The doctors diagnosed it as just a side effect of PTSD. When I was twenty years old, my Brother and I moved to Hokkaido, as he got a job as a manga artist.

It was there I met Satoru Fujinuma, a fellow victim of Revival. I watched the blue butterfly fly past his line of sight, and I could almost feel the time repeat. I noticed how he looked around frantically and that's when I knew, he was just like me. I saw as he grabbed the driver's hand and pulled the oncoming truck away from a little boy. The Truck Driver crashed into a nearby warehouse and Satoru crashed into car. I ran to his side, checking his pulse. "Thank god, he's alright." I grabbed out my phone and called for an ambulance immediately. Going to the truck driver's side I checked his pulse, nothing.

I was taken by the police and asked numerous questions that day. "What did you see and how was Satoru Fujinuma involved?"

So that's his name, Satoru Fujinuma... "I saw him grab the hand of a dead truck driver and pull him away from the path of a little boy. They crashed into a warehouse and Satoru was knocked unconscious." If I had said the whole truth, they'd think I'm crazy. "Thank you, Miss Minamoto. We'll call if we need any more answers."

I finally found another one like me, a Revival Victim. I need to know more about him.

I found out what apartment he lived in, and broke in, trying to find any answers. He lives alone, that much is obvious. But... I noticed a woman's handbag on the floor, too old to be around the same age as himself. His mother, maybe? I heard the jangling of keys. Shit... I climbed out the window and ran away.

I went to a nearby pizza place, trying to create an alibi for myself. When I walked in, I noticed Satoru. Trying to keep my confusion and worry down I smiled, ordering a teriyaki chicken pizza. He nodded, seeming to study me. When it arrived, he was about to head off. "Hey, wait a second!" I called out. He turned to look at me.

"Here." I handed him a piece of paper with my name on it. "Call me." He flushed slightly, taking the paper from me and nodding. "Sure." A guy who I think was the manager came up to me chuckling. "You sure you wanna go for a guy like him Princess?" I nodded. "Yes... He's exactly what I'm looking for."

I followed Satoru for a few days, noticing how he got more anxious. I noticed the blue butterfly several times, and so did he. One day, he and his Mother were separated, she went the apartment earlier. I followed Satoru as I regularly did, until I heard a scream. I rushed upstairs, where I saw Satoru standing with a blood stained hand and a dead body laid next to him. An old lady screamed as she saw the horrible sight, and the police were surrounding the house. He ran away and I followed him, seeing the blue butterfly once more. A white light spread around us, blinding us both when I felt the dry ground beneath us change.

I looked up, seeing a place I hadn't seen since I was ten years old.

Mikoto.