Trouble

A sea of bodies swayed to and fro as music pumped throughout the house. The laughter and shouts of inebriated teens melded into the mix, creating a sense of chaos and excitement, two things that always drew Liam in. One glance at him and you knew he was trouble. I mean really, his very presence seemed to ooze mischief for God's sake.

     Maybe it was because he was my big brother, and the fact that I looked up to him so, but I'm sure that if you'd ever had to try to describe- no, better yet to define him or who he was, you'd find that you wouldn't be able to.

     I had often heard him said to be so indefinitely grand in his own way, that it transcended one's ability to put into words who he really was. I don't blame you if you think ill of me but it's the truth. Plus it was only what I heard here and there amongst those whom have had the pleasure to meet him, and as I said, it wasn't easy to describe him. He just was. Like one of those magnificent people that upon setting eyes on, you were absolutely enthralled with and longed to have known them. You had no earthly idea what exactly it was about them that seemed to have you longing for their companionship either. It was as if they possessed this magnificent power over you. My brother was the embodiment of just that. Perhaps it was because he had no care in the world, and why would he when the world was at his mercy?

     I could see him now. A drink already in hand and the other slipped casually in his jean pocket. Upon his arrival, the eyes of the majority of the females in the room discreetly and not so discreetly swept over his form, as he and a few of the boys greeted each other with their usual little hand shake ritual and slaps on the back in salutation I have so often seen before. I never understood his fascination with humans, specifically the young ones. I personally found them to be horribly loud and corrupt, but I suppose that was what drew Liam in.

     An arm wrapped around my shoulders as I watched the scene in front of me, not bothering to look at who had their arm around me, I merely focused on Liam's figure as his eyes surveyed the room now and wondered...would he see me? But as his gaze made its final way around the room, not even glancing up to the shelf on which I sat, I felt slightly disappointed. Surely he sensed me but still I grew irate.

     "Calm yourself, young one," soothed the shadow perched next me, "You know he sees you. No need to fret."

     I pouted, finally turning to the figure beside me, "You lie. He would've acknowledged me as he often does."

     The shadow merely eyed me before answering in the wisest manner, "He can't do such a thing when there are so many mortals around, shouldn't you know this, child?"

     I grunted and stubbornly focused on my brother, who now stood with his back to me talking to a group of large rowdy boys, "Frater meus! Tu es stultior quam asinus!"

     I could see his ears prick at my words. Surely I would get a good scolding later but right now I was safe from his wrath and so I doubled over in a fit of laughter, finally feeling slightly satisfied. After a good few minutes I turned to the shadow once more, who looked at me disapprovingly and giggled as it tsked at me.

     My gaze moved back to the sea of kids below me, who were blind to my presence. I pondered of how they would react if out of nowhere they could see the little girl perched up high on the towering shelf above them. The girl who appeared to be no older than eight and no younger than four, who wore a dress the color of snow and a wreath of little flowers on top of her pale brown hair. I reached down, plucking a hat off a boy, who gave no hint as to his knowledge of ever wearing a hat in the first place. It was as if the hat never existed.

     "Look up," I commanded. He did as I said, confused as to why he had done so and blinked a few times before he went about getting another drink.

     The party had hardly started and I had already grown bored. It wasn't fun waiting around until midnight for Liam to finish up whatever he did in the human world. Yet, still I stayed in my seat imagining what news and tales he had for me tonight as we walked under the wonderful rays of the moon.

     "I see now," the shadow beside me proclaimed in its rumbling deep voice after a few minutes of silence. I looked at it questioningly. As if it understood my confusion it continued, "You are much like him, Crystal. You wish to stir up some trouble."

     Did I? I wondered. Looking to my swinging feet over the ledge I was perched precariously on, I examined my thoughts and the world around me. I dug deep into my senses now, searching for an answer until finally, with a great big grin I swept my eyes over the room searching.

     Trouble. Yes, I suppose I did and I knew exactly what it was I wanted to do now. I wanted to play with the mortals, just one. They were perfect to play with, or so I've heard, and so easily manipulated that it could be done even by me. Plus, a little practice couldn't hurt anyone and technically I wouldn't be breaking any rules, I just needed to be discreet and keep my distance. Now, I just had to find one who piqued my interest. One who would willingly follow me and open their eyes.

     My eyes locked on to those of a girl then, who looked straight at me too. The light brown hair wrapped into a loose bun at the nape of the girl's neck, which under normal circumstance I would've thought to be so pretty, seemed to be such a stark contrast to her ever paling skin the longer she looked in my direction, and when I couldn't possibly imagine that she could grow even paler, she did. Well, after her eyes flicked to the form sitting next to me.

     "Trouble. Trouble. Trouble," I sighed.

     The girl made her way through the crowd frantically now, pushing people out of her way like a mad woman. I cocked my head to the side. What was it she intended to do exactly?