Prologue

Experiment 1

Amelia Foster, MD. Anthony Donahugh, MD (assistant)

Timestamp: 0900

This is Amelia, conducting experi–

(shuffling is heard in background)

(laughter)

Shut up, Tony.

This is Amelia Foster, conducting experiment 1 on Subject K.P.

The subject K.P. has been injected via an IV the test-drug, Insomnia. She is in good spirits, laughing with the lab assistants as they adjust her monitors.

All seems to be going according to plan: vital signs are strong, and K.P. has stated that she feels 'just dandy'.

Time Stamp: 0914

The subject has begun to display some unusual behaviour.

These include:

• Disorientation
• Increase levels of adrenaline, decrease of melatonin
• Pupil dilation
• A perceived need for movement: this includes erratic actions and lack of coordination.

The skin around the injection site has become inflamed, and the surrounding blood vessels are quickly swelling to a dark, bruise-like colour.

We are flushing the wound with saline solution in an attempt to subdue the swelling. We are about to commence an emergency blood transfer.

Timestamp: 0918

(monitors can be heard beeping loudly)

Subject K.P. is unresponsive to speech. Her symptoms have progressed rapidly, and her vitals are dropping. I-I think she's...

(Amelia coughs)

Behaviours include:

• Full dilation of pupils –irises are no longer visible
• Pulling at restraints, throwing herself against them
• Laughter

One of the assistants had to leave the lab. The intern, Sarah, attempted to draw a blood sample from the inert subject. K.P. suddenly moved, scraping her nails along Sarah's arm. I sent her out to get a Band-Aid. The poor girl is scared, but she will be fine. It was only a scratch.

It is now my belief that the side effects of the Insomnia vaccine have been under-reported.

Timestamp: 0925

I've had to send more assistants out of the room. They've grown uncomfortable by K.P's actions.

Behaviours include:

• Paranoia: the subject is muttering, and although most words are incomprehensible, some noted are 'they've taken it away. I want it back.'
• Violently thrashing against bonds
• Shrieking at assistants when they approach
• Every so often, she stills, staring through the one-way glass. It is impossible for her to see us, of course, but it is extremely disconcerting.

The subject has dislodged her heart rate monitor and IV. I will send Nathan in to fix them.

Before Sarah left, she told me that K.P.'s name was Karen. She lives on the floor above Sarah's apartment. She has an eighteen-year-old daughter finishing high school.

Timestamp: 0931

Oh God.

She went still when Nathan entered. Just let him approach. When he bent to insert her IV, she leaned over and tore his throat out. There's blood everywhere.

Timestamp: 0933

She's broken out of her restraints. The straps are hanging from her wrists, and she's just staring at Nathan on the ground. Oh god

She... she's picking up her gurney. Turning towards the mirror. What-

(shattering glass can be heard on the recording)

Holy Shit, RUN!

(the recorder drops to the ground. Pounding footsteps gradually grow softer.)

Timestamp: 0934

( growl echoes)

End of recording. End of recording. End of recording

-audio transcript of found files

THEY DON'T SLEEP AND THEY WON'T LET YOU
WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

-graffiti by persons unknown