Prologue

Prologue:

Germany, 21 February 1946.

Hitler smiled- a sight so breathtakingly scary, it sent shivers down the spines of all those present in his audience. And then he uttered a single, terrible sentence through the microphone. A sentence heard by everyone in the world. His army, from the lined forms of soldiers in front of him; his followers, from the comfortable dens their cushions provided them, as they sat around their polished radios; his enemies, in fear, cowering somewhere; and the opposition: from the hacked broadcast screaming over their radios.

“Der Krieg ist vorbei. Ich habe gewonnen.” And then in staggered English, “Der war ist ower. I hev won.”

As if on cue, sprightly fireworks sizzled into the still night, lighting up the forlorn mood. The Nazi’s cheered, ever louder, and louder. Meanwhile, distant screams were cut out by the bang of each glittering flare, as their owners were killed on the spot or dragged in chains towards concentration camps.

The celebration stopped suddenly, as a young blonde male entered the stage holding in his hands a golden crown. Glistening emerald thorns twisted around the smooth gold mantle, mocking the Jews and their religion. Golden vines spired upwards to the top of the crown, where there sat a lion mid roar, one paw victoriously swiping at empty air. The crown was engraved in latin: Fortitudo fortitudinis, integritatis, fido et intellectus. The strength of fortitude, integrity, trust and understanding. The irony of the statement highlighting Hitler’s broken promises.

The blonde presented the crown to Hitler, softly placing it on his head, and preceded to kneel. At once, the whole Nazi party followed suit, bowing their heads low to their new king. “Rise, fer a new day ist dawning,” Hitler boomed through the microphone. His party saluted him.

The blonde took the microphone in his pale hands, “Hitler der Father.” His words echoed across the murky field, over the radio, and drifted away just as quickly as they were said, like stagnant smoke.

---

What I plan to do: Post the prologue & first few chapters of novel here (as I write them). Then I will continue to post excerpts, and once I'm finished I will either get it published if I can, or self-publish. :D