Funny Democracy & Government Quotes

Start from the beginning

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."

"We must all hear the universal call to like your neighbor like you like to be liked yourself."

"The most important job is not to be Governor, or First Lady in my case."

"If people can judge me on the company I keep, they would judge me with keeping really good company with Laura."

*** Winston Churchill ***

When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticise or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home.

"A sheep in sheep's clothing" On Clement Atlee

A modest man, who has much to be modest about On Clement Atlee

"An empty taxi arrived at 10 Downing Street, and when the door was opened, Atlee got out" On Clement Atlee

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" On Stanley Baldwin

"He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened" On Stanley Baldwin

"He looked at foreign affairs through the wrong end of a municipal drainpipe" On Neville Chamberlain

Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison" Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Bessie Braddock to Churchill "Winston, your drunk!" Churchill: "Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober"

"What could you hope to achieve except to be sunk in a bigger and more expensive ship this time" On Admiral Mountbatten

*** British Politics ***

"The labour Party has lost the last four elections. If they lose another, they get to keep the liberal party." Clive Anderson.

"If the word 'No' was removed from the English language, Ian Paisley would be speechless" John Hume.

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end." Margaret Thatcher.

"Harold Wilson is going around the country stirring up apathy." William Whitelaw.

"I don't know what I would do without Whitelaw. Everyone should have a Willy." Margaret Thatcher.

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity." Benjamin Disraeli.

"I have no interest in sailing around the world. Not that there is any lack of requests for me to do so." Edward Heath.

"The Labour Party's election manifesto is the longest suicide note in history." Greg Knight.

"At every crisis the Kaiser crumpled. In defeat he fled; in revolution he abdicated; in exile he remarried." Winston Churchill.

"The British Secret Service was staffed at one point almost entirely by alcoholic homosexuals working for the KGB." Clive James.

*** The Presidents Club ***

"I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming." Jimmy Carter.

"I have orders to be awakened at any time in the case of a national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting." Ronald Reagan.

"It's no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or another." George Bush.