Chapter 3

I pulled up outside the garden centre no longer worried about the show I had made of myself before. I was far too excited about my new plants.

"TOBY!" I yelled and waved as I saw him ahead of me. I momentarily hoped he didn't glared like last time but he smiled and waved back before walking up to meet me half way.

"Morning," he nodded in a direction for us to walk. "I need a coffee, care to join me before you meet your new plants."

I laughed and nodded in agreement. "They are like my new babies, it's a responsibility," my sister always took the piss when I took plants care so seriously.

"You are preaching to the wrong person," he said walking into the cafe full of customers. "Take a seat and I will bring it over," he pulled out a chair for me.

I sat down and smiled as an elderly couple nearby gave me a 'good morning' nod. I looked out of the window admiring the view of the garden.

"That was quick," I said looking up as Toby returned.

"I queue jump, perks of being the boss," he passed me a cup of coffee and a slice of cake.

"Cake," I suddenly felt very hungry.

"Yes, I think you deserve it."

"Deserve it?"

"Yes, you made it back inside here and through a night of the love birds staying over," he was referring to my sister and his brother.

I grinned, and blushed a little before deciding to make light of it, "I thought someone was dying of belly ache about half four this morning. I nearly called an ambulance."

He laughed. I liked making him laugh. I never usually made people laugh, I usually made them feel protective, tense, concerned... laughing was new.

"It gave me a night off."

"Does your brother live with you?"

"Yeah, it was temporary. Note the word 'was', as he hasn't moved out yet and it's been three years."

It was my turn to laugh.

"I envisage the same with my sister. She is supposed to live with my parents but now she has a boyfriend I doubt my mum and dad will be putting up with a dawn chorus."

The coffee, cake and ease of conversation were just what the doctor ordered for this slight hangover. When he took me through to collect my plants I was so chilled out I agreed to go for a walk in the garden. He showed me some of his favourite plants and where he had chosen the ones he planted in mine. I loved knowing where they came from... geek, and proud. We packed up my car and I was sorry to leave but proud of myself as it was much better than my last visit. Toby was such a gentleman it made me feel even more pathetic about running from him before.

By the time I got home the love birds were up and snogging in the kitchen. Gah!

"Soooo you've been to see Toby!" my sister teased.

"Yep, and I got all the plants," I said putting some on the counter.

"Are you going to see him again?"

"Seeing as you are dating his brother I would assume so."

"Wit woo, Toby and Niamh sitting in a tree. K, I, S, S, I, N...."

"Shut up," I snapped.

"Come on, there is definitely something there. I heard you with him, giggling and chatting with like an episode of Gardeners World."