1. New Jobs and Breakups

“So did you get the job at the yarn shop?”

“I did. My first day is tomorrow, earlier than expected.”

“That’s great, Julie! I hope you enjoy it.”

“I know I will. I’ll see you tonight?”

“Of course, baby. I’ll pick you up at seven sharp.”

“See you then, Tristan. I’m looking forward to it.”

The line went dead. Tristan was driving back from a national game and Julissa (Julie to her friends) had just gotten a job. She’d been searching all week (in places such as restaurants, shops, and the works) and most had come back negatively. Until this morning, with the call from a local yarn shop saying she was just the person for the open position.

“Is Tristan on his way back?” Delilah’s voice startled Julissa enough she jumped slightly. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to startle you, Julie.” Delilah giggled slightly as she handed Julissa the celebratory ice cream that had been deemed ‘necessary’ after hearing the news.

“Yea, he’s already half way here. I’m thinking about breaking it off tonight, Delilah. It’s just not working, even with all the effort we’ve been putting in since March.”

“I was about to suggest that action, Julie. I really don’t see it ending well for you two if you don’t break it off now.” Delilah’s prediction matched up fairly well with Julissa’s own. “I don’t care how cliché this sounds, Julissa, but you deserve a prince…but the chances of meeting one are slim to none…” Delilah sighed.

“Delilah, you never know what’s just around the corner of life.” Julissa smiled as Delilah laughed lightly.

“You have a point, Julissa,” Delilah started, “but still. A prince isn’t the kind of guy to sneak around in jeans and a tee.” Julissa nodded slowly. “Julie, please consider the odds. If not a real prince, then settle for someone that treats you like a princess. Tristan does not make the cut. Break. Up. With. Him. Tonight.”

“Delilah, I will. I promise. Tonight.” Julissa smiled.

“Adrian…she’s dead.” The queen’s voice weighed her son down. Adrian put a hand to his chin, holding back his tears as only a prince could. His grandmother had been one of his closest confidents. She’d been closer to him this past year than ever before. Now she was gone.

“I can’t believe she’s gone…” In Adrian’s experience, the Roman family had always been close. A death in the family would travel around fast. Someone would be visiting…many someone’s actually. Much of the extended family lived in the country, but some did live out of the country. The only people that did the latter (living out of the country, Adrian meant) that Adrian could think of were his cousins – Lyla, Samuel (Sam for short), and Delia – and their parents, Aunt Kiela and Uncle Adam.

“Aunt Kiela just called. She’s headed here as soon as she possibly can get here. Our mother’s death weighs heavily on her mind. Adrian, get some rest. We’ll have family here soon.” His mother’s voice somewhat soothed Adrian’s nerves quite a bit. He simple nodded and got up from where he sat. The death of his grandmother wore him down too.

“I will, mother. Does father know?” Adrian took a deep breath as his mother shook her head. His dad not knowing might not be a good thing.

“I’ll tell him tonight at dinner, Adrian. For now, rest. We’ll announce the death publicly tomorrow.” His mother waved her hand, a signal that meant Adrian could leave. He did so after placing a kiss on her forehead.

Adrian slipped out the back gate easily. Dressed in jeans and a tee-shirt, especially with his black wig and blue contacts, he looked like a servant. No one knew the difference, especially since many servants knew sign language (to communicate with the head of the guard, who was deaf), as did Adrian.

Pulling the door to his beat up truck open, Adrian slid into the soft leather interior. He’d had a lot of work done on the interior, but purposefully neglected to do anything to the exterior. It looked more like a commoner car that way. Adrian wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Where to first?” A look at the clock revealed that it was almost seven in the evening. Dinner sounded good, and Adrian knew just were to go.

Julissa smiled at Tristan. The team had won the game, just as had been expected. Tristan had opted not to go out with the team. Instead, he was here with her. Tristan returned her smile.

“I saw the game last night, Tristan. You did well. I’m convinced you’re the reason our football team’s reputation is so well-known and upheld.” Julissa’s comment reminded Tristan why he had asked her out for the first time – a year ago to the day, September 20th, 2012 being their first encounter in such an environment that asking her out on a date could’ve been possible. She was a sweet heart!

“You’re too kind, Julie.” Tristan waited for the usual blush. It never came onto Julissa’s cheeks. Ignoring this new twist in the usual proceedings of a date with Julissa, Tristan pulled the chair out for her. Julissa sat down, brushing a strand of her chestnut hair away from her face. She seemed to be hesitating with her words.

“Tristan…I need to be honest with you. I don’t think things are working out anymore. We both go to college in a few months, and long distance relationships never work well. It’s over.” Julissa sounded like her friend, Delilah. Delilah hated Tristan with a passion.

“Did Delilah tell you to say that?” Tristan’s voice held a bit of scorn and annoyance. He’d just helped his football team win nationals and his girlfriend is telling him to get lost! Not cool.

“No, she didn’t. Tristan, it’s over.” Julissa’s words hit him like a train. He’d tried so hard to fix the relationship but it had just gotten worse. Now Julissa was calling it off. It stung Tristan’s heart. “If you’ll excuse me, I have prior engagements to be attending.” Julissa got up and walked away.

Tristan sighed. He’d tried so hard to keep her happy – to treat her like a princess. His efforts hadn’t been in vain, though.

“One more month, Tristan. I can’t take any more heart break.” Julissa blinked away tears of a forgotten birthday. Tristan nodded.

“Oh, love. Such a heart break, no?” The waiter caught Tristan off guard.

“You have no clue.” Tristan bent down to pick up the flower he had dropped in the heat of the moment. Clink! Tristan picked the ring up. He had meant to propose tonight. Julissa was probably right, though. She deserved someone better than him. That was true…but he couldn’t believe she’d broken it off now. Why hadn’t she done it sooner? If anything, he’d really deserved it after he’d forgotten her birthday.