Chapter Five- If He Asked

Like previously stated, I am not or never shall be Victor Hugo.

Enjoy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As he promised, Joly arrived at Josephine's door precisely at six o'clock the following morning with a bouquet of daisies in his hand and an alibi on his head. Pausing a moment to make sure his clothes were in order, Joly knocked on Josephine's door. He was lost in thought, not noticing that Josephine opened her door. The girl with golden spiral curls was smiling at Joly as if last night had never happened. Josephine looked questioningly as she gazed down at the bunch of beautiful flowers.

"These are for you, my dear Josie," the sorry man said as he hoisted the daises towards Josephine. He appeared to be acting his usual self, with his hands resting in his trouser pockets.

With her face set a glow Josephine asked, "Where did you get these marvelous flowers? They're quite out of season!" Her voice rose as she hold the flowers up to her delicate nose. Josephine could rival the sun with the way her smile gleamed.

Brushing her question off as if it was merely dust on his waistcoat, Joly simply stated, "I have a friend."

Perplexed by his simple answer Josephine disappeared for a moment to put away her lovely flowers. After her task was done Josephine reappeared, wrapped in a fur coat. Joly eyed the expensive coat as his friend closed the door behind her. She turned towards her university friend, happily saying, "Thank you for the wonderful daisies! They are truly beautiful, but what is the special occasion?"

"They are the symbol of my humblest apologizes for my blunders yesterday," Joly earnestly replied with a bowed head.

A sense of melancholy overwhelmed Josephine as she busied herself with her coat, "I still would like to know your reasoning," she whispered into her sleeve.

"And you will soon know, but I must ask if it is alright if I shorten our stroll due to my university classes this morning, I hope that does not offend you in any way," Joly stated, worried about wounding Josephine's feeling once more.

"That is certainly fine," Josephine replied happily, "How long are you classes this morning?"

"They are from eight o'clock until noon, sadly. I hope that is not a hindrance for you, Josie. There is quite the library on campus that you could busy yourself with while I study," Joly said as he lead Josephine down the staircase,"you do like reading, right, Josie?" the man in a gray waistcoat added while holding the door for Josephine.

"Absolutely! Reading is one of my favorite hobbies!" Josephine exclaimed as the pair entered the windy street. No one was to be seen besides the occasionally shop keeper preparing for the day.

"Then let us be on our way, it is about a thirty minute walk to campus," Joly said easily as he shoved his hands in his pockets once more.

"Why did you insist on such an early stroll then, Joly?" Josephine asked she she tightened her fur coat, such beginning the fashion of the wealthy at the time of 1832, in an effort to stay warm. The late February winds played with the hem of her periwinkle gown as she walked. By the way Josephine appeared she could have passed as nobility.

"Because nothing is more beautiful than the sight of Paris at day break," Joly declared with a sigh.

How right Joly was! At the very moment his words escaped his mouth the roof tops around them began to glisten as the day's first sun rays hit the powerful city of Paris. The warmth of the sun seemed to encompass the labyrinth of Paris. Though there was still a chill in the air the city rejoiced at the majesty of sun. Another day was beginning, at last! What opportunities are held for the day?