Chapter 18: Phone Conversations

It was the first time in a long time that she felt this crappy. Ever since Jiro tried his hand at forcing himself on Michiru she sussed…and then realized that was only a week back…and sighed at how complicated her life had suddenly become.

What was so wrong about her? Why couldn't Michiru's parent's look pass the tomboy and just see a human who loves their daughter?

She was feeling as if it would be an endless battle with them. If she were to stick herself in the violinist's life long enough they would always clash…because she knew the smaller woman would always have to choose between them…and she shouldn't have to.

Maybe she should just run. She was tired all of the sudden…of all of this. She wasn't tired of Michiru…not even close. She was tired of the situations surrounding her. She had tried…to be human and understanding. She had tried patience and indifference. But she had never been pushed so far…been prodded for so long and even after all that…she couldn't fight back. She could only say what's on her mind…which had been good enough in the past, but it seems everyone in this wedding, even Jiro at the start, hated her…and would continue so until she disappeared.

It was depressing.

She never really told the violinist, but of course she wanted to be looked at highly by her parents. She genuinely liked the boisterous and outspoken father she met a month back while selling condominiums…and although Shina had been so cold…she somehow knew that she had seen them together in the sofa that night she stayed in her beach house…and if she didn't say anything then, it would mean that she had somehow created some sort of leniency at their close relationship.

But it seemed as if those people were gone. Shinji had become his business persona, she presumed. All work, no play, serious, and still outspoken, but his arrogance and apparently ignorance had soared as well. She still couldn't believe he spoke to his daughter the way he did…and made a promise with herself to somehow better Michiru's relationship with both of her parents before this entire thing was over. More than anything she couldn't stand seeing her stuck in this rift…this never ending conflict.

If she were to go, would it make everything better? Jiro would still be here…and if anything, he's the fiancé…he should be enough. Would the violinist be able to take all of them if she were to take her leave now? She's strong…she would be able to. Wouldn't she?

And then her crying form in the beach house became first and foremost in her mind. How her sapphire eyes twinkled helplessly as her tears marched down and her voice, perfected to sound as if she was okay, but had been farthest from the truth.

She couldn't leave…Not when she knew deep down that Michiru's not as strong as she looks. That although she prided herself in being independent, she still wanted the attention and love her parents had been giving her less of and more responsibility. She was her only friend in this entire ordeal. She was going to be the only one in her corner agreeing with her the important things to agree on and making her smile or, better yet, laugh when she could see the tired and melancholic look deeply hidden in her sapphire eyes.

She had to stay…and keep taking all of this in. She and the violinist were the absolute perfect martyrs. They are more than able to take crap from everyone and look as if nothing was wrong…as long as they had each other. She wondered how important she was in Michiru's life…and why she held her at such high esteem. Did she really do that much for her? It didn't look like she did…maybe she's just keeping her around for comedic relief…although she's not very funny and gets chastised more often than not with her brash behavior. She's loud, boisterous, outspoken, and an overall nuisance to this entire wedding ordeal if she were to be completely honest with herself…so…why was Michiru keeping her?