To Catch a Butterfly

Her body collapsed beside mine in complete exhaustion, her eyes closing with every breath of air she inhaled. I closed my eyes and smiled happily as my body came back from the high to its normal self. My hazel eyes watched her attentively from the side as she rolled over to face me. Her left hand came up to twirl the tips of my choppy layers, as her right hand traced small circles on my abdomen.

"Love?" I whispered softly as I watched her angelic face relax into a state of subconsciousness.

"Yes baby?" Kat replied with her eyes still closed.

"Do you love me?"I mumbled through hesitation, her eyes flickering wide open. She wrapped her arm tighter around me, pulling me closer to her side. Her lips became moist by her own tongue before she spoke, and her brown eyes gazed deeply into mine.

"I love you, Mads, so much more th-" My lips cut off her words, showing her that she needed no further explanations. With every movement of our lips as one, I truly felt her love. She pulled away slowly, her lips releasing my bottom one very gently. I rested my forehead against hers, my hand automatically cupping her cheek.

"Then will you promise me something?" I spoke quietly, my lips brushing hers with every word.

"You know I'll do anything for you, baby," she replied, and a small smile appeared across her face.

"Can you promise to be my forever, and my always?" She shifted nervously, and her breathing picked up. My eyebrow arched in curiosity, and I couldn't help but bite my lip with anxiety.

"I can't..." She muttered as her skin tone came back to normal, and her eyes looked everywhere but my face.

"Why not...?" I couldn't hide the agony in my voice, and the palpitations of my heart made it harder to speak.

"Because nothing lasts forever. Not even life itself."