The Sealskin

Note: I'm bad at keeping in the same tense (tend to switch from past to present and vice versa) but it's supposed to be in past tense. So feel free to comment and tell me to fix it if it's wrong.

And if you have any cast suggestions, feel free to let me know :)

 “Promise me you won’t go near the railings, Cedric.” A hand grabbed my wrist before I left the house.

“I promise. Besides, Belle and I are just going to the store.”

My mother eyed me wearily before slowly letting go of my hand. “The boards are old; they could break.”

“I know.”

“Are we going or what?” my sister, Belle, has finished getting ready and jumps off the last step of the staircase.

“We’re leaving now.” I stepped out the front door and on to the boardwalk.

“That’s the fifth time she’s asked you to promise to keep away from the railings in three days,” Belle states as I pass her a reusable bag.

I shrug and look over the railings, out at the cold, wild ocean. “She’s just worried. The railings won’t hold forever.”

Belle and Mother look almost the same. Small, lean build, brown eyes, red-brown hair, but they act different. Mother’s careful, paranoid; Belle’s brave and confident.

Then again, Mother had to survive the flood, Belle didn’t.

Years ago there was a flood. It started slowly, but over time the water rose faster and faster until only the mountains were uncovered.

And people didn’t the only thing they could do to survive, adapt.

We built cities and towns rising out of the water. Venice was suddenly the smartest idea we’d ever thought of. Water cities were created and built anywhere that was suitable. Boardwalks were used as roads and sidewalks; everyone walked everywhere they could. The only time boats were used was when traveling or transporting goods to other water cities, which are miles upon miles apart.

This didn’t save all of us though. Millions died, drowning or killed in the panic. Others from war, exhaustion from helping build the cities, or the sharks.

Even though we’re one of the smallest water cities in the former United Kingdom area, we’re still a pretty big city.

“Where are you going when you graduate?” I looked at Belle. We’re two years apart, and neither of us have many friends. That and the fact we have to take care of our grandfather and slightly insane mother, we’d grown close over the years.

Belle shrugged, and didn’t look at me. “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll stay here one more year, until I’m twenty. Or maybe two, until you graduate high school. Or live here forever. Find a house, a job.” She looked over me and ruffled my hair.

“You’re running late.” Taylor flashed us a smile as we walked in. Both Taylor and her grandfather, Old Man Matthews, run the shop. Although Matthews doesn’t do much anymore.

“Sorry, Tay, here’s the list.” Belle gave Taylor a sheet of notebook paper.  Taylor’s a close friend, practically family. She’s around my age; I think a month older, and her family’s native to these parts of the world, unlike us. She has bright green eyes, long, curly red hair, and lots of freckles.

“Have ye heard about the new girl?” she asked while pulling items off of the shelves. Everyone has an accent around here, although some are richer than others. Old Man Matthews and Taylor both have thick Irish accents, although over the years all this region’s accents, Scottish, Irish, and British, have melded together.

“No,” Belle called back. Taylor was our source on the area’s gossip. She knew almost everyone, due to the fact she ran one of the only stores along the boardwalk.

“She and her father came to get some groceries yesterday. She’s a year younger than Cedric,” she nodded in my direction. “She’s starting school tomorrow, same grade as us.” she handed us our bags, now full, and Belle paid for everything.

“Know where she’s from?” I asked.

“A large city, a bit farther south that here. Her father didn’t talk much, and neither did she,” Taylor shrugged.

“Well, thanks for the update,” Belled called our over her shoulder as we walked out of the shop.

“No problem. Don’t let the sea monsters get ye,” was her response as the door swung shut.