Prologue

You know those really popular kids at school? The ones that everyone at least pretends to like? Well, Alexander Trefle wasn't one of them.

You know those top-of-the class nerds? The geeky ones that are always right about everything? Alexander Trefle wasn't one of them, either.

Alexander Trefle wasn't even one of those average students that seemed to blend in. He wasn't one of the naughty dropouts-to-be that thought they were cool by smoking and drinking. Nope. He certainly wasn't one of them.

Alexander Trefle was a little bit of everything.

He had his own style of life, and his own way of thinking. No, he wasn't quite popular- though he could be if he tried-, he wasn't geeky- an easy possibility-, he wasn't too naughty- though he did have a knack for causing trouble. But above all, Alexander Trefle was anything but average.

He could easily be a top grade student- if he wanted the 'wonderful' rewards of a few praises from the adults along with many brutal beatings from the bullies. After the first few beatings in the harsh environment of middle school, Alexander had stopped correctly answering those answers that came so easily to him. Instead, he deliberately started to get things wrong.

He became an average student in class; not quite an 'A' student, but more of a 'B's and 'C's achiever. He masked his abilities, he never spoke of his life outside of school, and he never caused enough trouble to have his parents notified. His school life was merely a charade to him.

It was only after school that he shook himself from the act.

Alexander Trefle hopped over the ledge that led out to the back street, tossing his schoolbag into the nearby bush. A tall, slender figure waited for him, dressed in black robes and concealed in the shadows. Alexander cheerily bounced up to him. "Hello, Mr.Vail!"

"Alex," the man acknowledged. He rarely greeted him properly, even after they had been meeting for so long. "Nobody is with you?"

"I'm alone, as I am everyday...," Alex muttered, partially groaning. The man always asked that question. He did not ever want to be seen with Alex, but he never explained why.

"Good," he said firmly. "Come along."

Alex hurried after the man, following his long, smooth strides with childish half-running. The walked along backstreets and alleyways, occasionally crossing open, empty streets. As they walked, their pace gradually slowed.

After a while, Alex got bored. "Where are we going today?"

Mr. Vail gave him a no-nonsense warning look. "You know I don't like it when you ask that. You'll see when we get there."

"I know," Alex groaned, "but we've been walking for hours!"

"Six minutes, Alex." Mr. Vail corrected with an irritated sigh. Then he sensed something. Abruptly, he dropped back into the shadows and pulled Alex with him.

Alex listened intently and heard the soft footsteps of someone that was light on their feet and meandering towards them. He could not fathom how Mr.Vail had sensed this person, as he was only just coming into view. This was one of the many reasons that Alex felt made the man so interesting. They had only been meeting for a year, always with the same unexplained challenge of avoiding people, and in all that time, Alex had come to respect Mr. Vail like a father.

As the man came into better view, Alex gasped under his breath. "That's the All Powerful Merlin Bayne!"

Merlin Bayne was the most powerful wizard in history, and the only to achieve the title of 'All Powerful'. He was, in all respects, a legend.