Prologue

Thanks Amylivingmylife for the quality book cover...!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue:

1014 Clontarf, Ireland.

Pulling back from the frontlines of the battlefield; bloodied and bruised, arm tired from wielding what could only be described as a monstrous longsword almost four feet in length, came a giant of a man. To see him coming for you on the field of battle was to know the definition of fear. Nearing seven foot in height, with muscles rippling from head to toe. This was a man who had lived the life of a warrior. It was clear from the giant sword in one hand, daggers strapped to his body, traces of long healed wounds and the cold dead look in his eyes that he had seen it all. His shorn black hair matted to his head from a combination of blood and sweat.

As Brian Boru gazed out over the battlefield spread in front of him, it was clear that all was lost. His forces were experienced and loyal to a man but far too few in number to hold of the opposing forces. Like a plague of locusts they poured forward, spilling hatred and poison before them. Battle cries rang through the air. Almost enough to drown out the screams of the dying. Almost.

But nothing can truly drown out that combination of pain and desperation. There were broken corpses littering the battlefield in all directions, most of them his men. Soon enough they would all be dead unless

It was the oldest of battles. Man versus demon, good versus evil. Whatever way you wanted to view it, ultimately it was a fight for survival. This was the last stand of men on the emerald isle. If their resistance was broken here, it was impossible to see anything stopping this wave of evil rushing through the country.The opposing army consisting of all manner of being and large numbers of men who saw demons as the best chance of survival. Creatures that would haunt your nightmares until the ends of your days ripped apart armoured men as if they were made of cloth,so easily they fell apart. Great beasts with wings the length of ships soared over the carnage below, dropping down every so often only to come away with some unfortunate soul trapped within their razor sharp talons.

"Fools" Brian muttered to no one in particular.

Once demons took control, it was the end. All that would be left was a lifetime of slavery and misery. Simple minded men had been turned with promises of wealth and power, yet they could never be regarded as equals. They were just pawns in the demons game and would find that out fairly fast once the war was over and the demons turned on their allies afterwards.

This was the last in a series of smaller but no less violent battles that had been going on since man first landed on the Isle of Destiny, or Eirinn as it was better known.As the legends tell, demons and faerie have been around since before records began and have been at war with each other since this time. The demons fought as it is in their blood. The faeries fought for survival.

When humans came into existence the faeries foresaw that it could be a turning point in their battle for survival and so helped the humans in whatever way they could, ensuring the humans as an ally against the demons.

The demon horde led by Balor and served by the human traitor Máel Mórda intended to finish this battle once and for all. Whoever controls this island has to power to control the world.

With the clash of swords and shields still ringing through his ears, Brian knew what he should do. A cold wind swept in from the west muting the sounds of battle for a fraction and sending shivers up along Brian's spine. It was one thing to know what must be done but it is entirely another to follow through regardless of the consequences. All day Brian had known it was leading up to this moment. He had done everything in his power to divert the course of history but one man cannot be all things to all people. When Brian had reached the large frayed tent behind the battle lines, he reached down for the brown mud stained edge and looked inside at the man whom he had known would be waiting inside. "Ulf, my faithful brother. The person who has been at my side throughout all of these struggles." Brian looked at the man through sorrowful eyes.