Lucid. (SHORT story)

+++ Hey guys! This is a SHORT Horror story that I wrote over THREE YEARS AGO. It was an English assignment to write a horror story. It's the very first attempt I ever made to actually write! I took it from my quizilla account to share with you guys. I hoped it would give you something funky to read until I can put up another chapter. It gets a bit graphic but maybe you like that! +++

 Make sure to check out my full length story : Monster. I'm in the process of writing it. It's a vampire romance but I'm trying to steer away from the norm. :)

Soft music played as light shined through the enormous windows of the bright ivory room. No decorations adorned the walls or floors except for the olive tinted grand piano placed in the dim corner. Alis enjoyed being accompanied by the light, airy sound of the piano as she painted. The large canvas, placed on an easel in the center of the room, was now decorated with vivid shapes and colors created by Alis’ hand. The oversized, empty room was a wonderland of her very own. Rowan, the source of the music, played for her at the piano, watching her intently. The companions shared an understood love for one another. To her Rowan’s voice was a symphony, he sang only for her. The somber lullaby continued to echo through the room. Rowan’s gaze never faltered from Alis’ wild green eyes drifting across the canvas. Her messy raven hair was splattered with florescent paint and the light coming from behind illuminated her tall slender frame, reflecting off of the mirrored tiles of the floor. The gentle wind blew her dress in soft bellowing waves of white. The scent of the ocean breeze flitted in from one of the open windows. Waves crashing against the gypsum shore and the distant chirping of birds sang along with Rowan’s song.

His cynical stare was still aimed in Alis’ direction. She felt the presence of his unwavering gaze. She paused to glance at him. “What is it?” she giggled.

Rowan’s fingers continued to move effortlessly over the keys. “It’s nothing,” he said, “continue with your masterpiece.”

Alis sensed something different in his voice. It seemed empty, void of life. His smirk wasn’t the playful grin she was used to. Alis began to say something but decided against it. She picked up where she left her painting. Brush gliding, her eyes darted back and forth over the canvas. She lost herself in thought. A stroke of the paint brush, the fraction of a second and suddenly a thick veil of silence fell over the world. It felt as though it ceased to spin.

Alis was torn from her thoughts. She turned to Rowan. He sat motionless at the piano, his ebony hair cast shadows over his eyes. She stood still, staring at him. He slowly rose from the bench and started towards her. The wind still whipped Alis’ hair about her face but it no longer whistled as it passed through the window. The distance between the two grew smaller with every step he took. The collision of the floor and the soles of his shoes did not echo through the room like it should have. Rowan reached his hand up to Alis’ warm face. His gentle touch seared her skin. She dared not move despite the slight discomfort. She searched for an answer, an assuring smile, anything at all. No emotion was evident on his pale, flawless face. She gazed into his deep silver, knowing eyes. His nails pressed harder against her flesh. She froze.

After what seemed to be hours Alis finally attempted to break the eerie silence. “W-What’s wrong?” she began to stutter but her jumbled words made no sound.

Fear pulsed through her veins making her blood run cold. She strained her mind to find the answer but her thoughts were a jumbled mess. The look in Rowan’s eyes was indescribable. Alis found something dark, evil. His amused expression confused her. Evil overpowered all other emotion that was once evident in his beautiful face. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered. Heavy sarcasm laced every word.

Before the confused Alis could respond, an excruciating pain shook her entire frame. Rowan dug his razor sharp nails into her soft flesh. His fingers reached the bone and, without warning, violently jerked down. Her desperate screams went unheard. “Oh come now, love. It’s not so bad,” he chuckled, “I’m having fun, aren’t you?”