2. The Sorting Hat

Chapter Two:

The kids were called up alphabetically to be sorted, and being a 'D' it didn't take long to get to me. I looked up at my father as he placed the sorting hat on a terrified looking girl with curly brown hair and a naturally pale face, whose name was Ash Acheson. I saw a look of relief on her face when the hat yelled out so all the hall could hear "Gryffindor".

The girl jumped down of her seat skipping as she went and sat on the nearest end of the Gryffindor table. It wasn't long before all the A's, B's and C's where done, and my father looked down at the parchment with all the names.

"Laylah Dumbledore" he yelled out with pride in his voice. The hall went silent, all eyes were on me, being the famous wizard my father was made me his daughter, just as famous. I walked through the crowd and up to my father, where I sat on the little stool beside him; He smiled kindly at me, encouraging me. The sorting hat was placed on my head. "Hmm, very interesting" I heard the hats voice inside my head, which freaked me out just a bit. "Nice mind we got here, plenty of good qualifications, but where to put you?" I began to worry; I knew the hat was thinking of putting me in Slytherin I could just see it.

"Please put me in Gryffindor" I begged the hat inside my head.

"In Gryffindor? But you so many good qualifications, which would be best served in Slytherin, but if you're sure?" the next part was said out loud for everyone to hear, and I had my fingers crossed behind my back for luck. "Better be GRYFFINDOR" I sighed with relief as the hat was lifted off my head, I saw the look on my father's face that told me how proud he was of me, and I smiled up at him

I sat down at the Gryffindor table next to Ash Acheson who greeted me with kind smile. I watched anxiously as the other students where done one by one, and then finally "Tom Riddle" my heart skipped a beat at the sound of his name, I watched him closely as he made his way up to the stool. I hoped with all my heart that he would be placed in Gryffindor along side me, but before the hat was even placed fully on his head, it yelled out "Slytherin"

My heart sank inside my chest and I looked down as a feeling of sadness came over me. I didn't notice Tom staring at me as he made his way over to the Slytherin table.

A few days went by and all the first years began to fully get settled at their new home. I have not spoken to Tom since the day on the train, every time I seen him he had about 5 to 6 Slytherin kids surrounding him, he has come quiet popular with all the Slytherin's, which seem to look up to him as their god or something.

I have made a friend of my own in my house, since the sorting ceremony I have become quiet close to Ash, although she is a Muggle-born. I did not really have anything against Muggle-born, but I was not too fond of Muggles themselves. I personally thought they were below us magical beings. I of course never let my father know how I feel about them. I knew he would be disappointed in me if he knew the truth.

***

Weeks went by and I still not had the chance to speak to Tom, and he was beginning to slip from my mind now.

Ash and I walked to DADA (defense against the dark arts) together immerged in typical conversation about girl stuff, like who's hot and who's not. Without realizing it we walked straight into the middle of Tom's gang. I watched in shock as the books from Ash's hands where smacked to the floor from one of the Slytherin boys, and she was shoved to the ground.

"Out of our way you filthy little mud-blood!" one of the taller boys growled.

My eyes opened in horror at these words and I drew out my wand and pointed it at the tall dumb looking Slytherin that had insulted my friend. "Oooh, what you going to do, curse me" he mocked, and the other boys laughed, all accept Tom, who stood their looking at me now being ganged up against by his own friends. I looked at him with kind of a plea in my eyes for him to stop his friends and I could tell that Tom as struggling on what to do.

"Come one guys, we got stuff to do, leave the mud blood and blood traitor for now"

'Blood traitor?' My heart felt like it had been stabbed with his words, I couldn't believe what had just come out of Tom's mouth. But before I had the chance to retaliate, the boys had lowered their wands and strode of behind Tom.

I turned to Ash who was looking confused on the ground at what she had done to provoke the sudden attack on her. I helped her up, and on the way to our class I filled her in on the terms used against us.

***

A few years had passed Ash and I are now in our 5th year at Hogwarts. I have not spoken to Tom in all this time but I still get the occasional insults from his group of friends, which Tom would not join in, but I occasionally caught him staring at me from the corner of his eye. It was currently Christmas holidays and we are all packed to return to Hogwarts. My father took me to the train station where he leaves me. I headed off into a carriage; Ash was nowhere to be found. I passed the carriage where all Tom's friends where sitting laughing as they where talking badly about Muggles and stuff. I just rolled my eyes as I continued to walk past them. The carriage was full and Tom was not amongst them. I finally made my way down to the end of the train and took the only carriage that is left, the rest were all filled up. I waited and sat, staring out the window; the train still had 5 minutes before it departure. So I pulled out my homework that I was given to do over the Christmas holidays. I thought if I got it done straight away it would give me the whole holidays to do whatever I liked. I smiled to myself at the thought of all the fun things I would get up to, as I pulled my quill out and began working.