Chapter One - Dawn

Day 32.

    Today was as idiosyncratic as usual. It all started with mother and grandmother complaining about the Sovereign. No surprise there. They never seen to just relax or calm down, always telling me that I need to get my act together and start taking this seriously. I mean, what's the big deal. The Sovereign will become powerful and destroy us all? Just because she has miraculous powers and has the potential to destroy the village, doesn't mean I care. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if she did destroy my mother and grandmother. Peace. Tranquil. Serene. Maybe I'm being a little harsh but. Sometimes it gets tough.

        So today they wanted me to cast a ritual of protection around our diminished house. The usual took place; engraving the runes into the ground... adding candles to scare away spirits... adding catalysts to make the ritual safe... All that rubbish. Then, incanting the spell by saying some random words. Arbre is a common one, supposedly it means tree in French. Turns out all the French are witches and warlocks! Now that's why mother loves the city so much and 'La Tour Eiffel ' . I bet it's not even a tower. It's probably a secret underground coven with five million witches in it. Maybe some of them are like me! I could have a friend! I could talk to someone about this ridiculous ' Oooh the sovereign is going to kill us all ' baloney. Ah, the dream. 

 So yeah, back to the ritual of protection, sorry I get a bit carried away. Oh my I haven't even introduced myself! I'm Emma, supposedly the 'Next Sovereign' and I'm seventeen years old. Oh, for those who don't know, the Sovereign is the most powerful witch in all the land. She has the power to take powers from fellow covens and give them to others.. Or, she can take them all for herself and be greedy like Lagreth who was the Sovereign before. Our Sovereign is called Bethanie. French, don't ask. My mother and my grandmother think I have the potential to overthrow the Sovereign and all of her glory with the power of our coven. You see, when a witch dies, their power becomes absorbed into the land and is stored in the coven so that the other witches can use it. So like ours and many others, our coven goes way back and is one of the first covens made. So all of our ancestors' power is within us. Each coven has a speciality or a 'power' as most people call it. Most people have increased life or charming powers. But there are a few exceptions who have Elemental Powers like our coven. We have the ability to channel certain objects and their power to contest against our enemies like water or fire for example. So in order to combat Bethanie, I need to train my power and protect myself. This is where we come to the ritual of protection. The ritual combines the powers of earth and air to create a barrier for any type of magic to be cast within the walls of the cottage unless you belong in its coven. For this particular ritual. I had to use the house itself for the catalyst, an empty box for air. And a pile of earth from outside. Nice and simple. Although, I think I put my hand in some faeces as grandmother thinks 'it is good for the land and the crops' but in reality, it stinks and is unnecessary and it went all over my hands and now I feel like things can't get any worse. 

Thanks for reading this part :D Don't be afraid to comment and let me know what you think. It will be much appreciated. Also if you really enjoyed it and want to see more, why not drop in a cheeky vote :3 :D it would make my day :D

Thanks everyone again for reading :)