Nudestock 2012 Review

Review of Nudestock Music Festival at Cedar Creek RV Park, Pelion, SC Sept 28-30

Dancing naked under the harvest moon!  Feasting in the buff on home-cooked southern comfort-food! Skinny-dipping in a clear country creek!  These are but a few of the highlights of my recent trip to Cedar Creek Nudist Resort for their annual Nudestock Music Festival in Pelion, South Carolina.

On the last weekend in September, “The Creek”, as regulars call it, celebrates three days and two glorious nights of music and nudity.  Like its ‘60s namesake, Nudestock centers around the sounds.  On this, the eighteenth anniversary of the event, an array of live bands filled the 45-acre resort with song from noon to midnight.  Five bands and a DJ performed under the permanent outdoor shell before a busy concrete dance floor.  A natural hillside amphitheater provided an unobstructed view of the revelry to those who preferred to watch from their camping chairs. 

Music styles for this year’s Nudestock ran the gamut from Country to Pop, climaxing with “Men of Distinction”, a high energy party-band that covered every toe-tapper a naked dancer could twirl to.  When they cranked up the jams on Saturday night, moonlit bodies converged on the dance floor, movin’ and groovin’ to everything from James Brown to Aerosmith.  Men of Distinction played plenty of good ole Beach Music too, and I witnessed some outstanding shagging! (It’s the South Carolina state dance.)         

Vendors turned up with lots of fun stuff; body jewelry, temporary tattoos, naughty clothing…  all at fair prices.  There were massage therapists on hand with no shortage of bare bodies paying $1 a minute for an oily kneading.  There was even a nude Arbonne rep handing out generous samples of skin care products.  Nudists?  Skin care?  Makes sense to me!

My companion and I shelled out $125 for the entire weekend plus $67 per night for a comfortable double room with private bath.  We lucked out on the room!  They only have five.  Cedar Creek RV Park, as the name implies, is mainly campers, parked or semi-permanently anchored along quaint gravel lanes.  The rural acreage includes pools, Jacuzzis, and showers, an indoor and outdoor set of each.  There’s a club house with billiards tables.  The obligatory Petanque Court remained in constant use.  Winding trails work their way through the forest to a plank dock on the actual creek.  I took the plunge, a “Creek tradition”, and the clear water was bracingly chilly in that wonderful way every naturist understands. 

Barbeque in the clubhouse ran $11 a plate for the evening meal, and I heard it was tasty.  But I never made it to the dining room.  Along the way, an acquaintance spied me and diverted me to a member’s camper for dinner, a prime example of the friendliness one may encounter at Cedar Creek.

All in all, Nudestock rocks!  Well known to southern nudists, this event may soon grow to national prominence.  Cedar Creek is a rustic spot on the naturist landscape, so keep that in mind when you plan to attend next year.  Nudestock is a great naked fun! 

This review by Chel McDonald was printed in Nusa Sun Magazine in October of 2012.  All rights reserved.  Chel McDonald is a columnist for Nusa Sun Magazine and not-quite-traditional nudist living in rural South Carolina.  Please feel free to friend Chel at facebook.com/chel.mcdonald.  Check out the latest issue of Nusa Sun at nusasun.com