Chapter 1: Lonely

"I can't believe you're leaving today, Em. What am I going to do without you?" I asked my only friend, Emily Hansen. I looked down at her from my spot in my treehouse, the one we would hang out in when we were kids. We had so many memories. "Trust me, I don't want to leave. My parents are forcing me to move all the way to Pennsylvania. What am I going to do? I'll be the new girl. Again."

That was true. When we were about 7 years old, Emily moved in next door from Minnesota. We instantly became friends since both of us had no friends and we were both outcasts. That changed for Emily though once we reached junior high. She changed. She made new friends and became the popular girl that everyone admired, while I was just her nerdy friend that didn't talk to her in public.

Believe me though, we were inseparable. We did everything together from sleepovers and vacations to going to Starbucks and concerts. We had the same taste in everything, besides clothes. Me, comfortable in jean shorts and plain t-shirts. Emily, bold colors and crazy prints.

We were practically the same person on the inside and we trusted each other with everything because we could never judge our other halves. We were soul mates. Well, in the best friend way I mean.

Although we were so alike on the inside, our appearances were completely opposite. Emily was perfect, typical Cali girl, with long blonde hair, tall, sun kissed, and to go along with it all, bright blue eyes. I can note that they are her best feature.

I, on the other hand, looked like I was the one from the Northern states rather than her. I had plain brown hair that only reached to about my middle back, braces, dark brown eyes, and was as pale as ever. My height only reached about 5'3'', four inches shorter than my best friend.

"Emily! We're leaving!" Mr. Hansen yelled up to the treehouse. Emily quickly got up, knowing her dad was stressed and all. I followed her down the old rope ladder and hopped to the ground with a thud. I followed her over to her parents and the U-HAUL moving truck, filled with their belongings.

We said our goodbyes and hugged forever, until she had to get into their car. I couldn't believe I was losing my only friend. Now what would I do with my life? I still had a whole summer break until school started again. I cried. A lot.

***

It's been three weeks since Emily had left Parktown, and I was desperately lonely, even in my filled house. My mom had told me that a new family was moving into Emily's old house. Her home, I would call it. She belonged there, not some new family. I couldn't handle being all alone in my house the whole summer. Well, technically I wasn't physically alone, but I was mentally. I decided I needed to get a move on with my boring life.

Maybe I should go to the beach? Nah. What would I do there all alone? Go swimming? I'd look like a nerd. Ugh. What can I do?

I wish I could make friends. Go back in time and change myself from the very beginning. I want real friends though. Ones that understood me. Were themselves at all times and wouldn't ditch me for someone else.

Samantha Peterson. The bitch from seventh grade. She caused me to have so many trust issues with people. She ditched me all the time. She told me I was ugly and made fun of me in front of all the popular people. Then I ended up finding out she only pretended to be my friend to get closer to my twin brother, Andrew.

I wouldn't change myself now. I was stuck being the lonely Annette Grace Williams, and I had to be okay with that. I'd rather be the real me than a fake me. Right?

It didn't help that my older brothers were popular and outgoing. I was just their quiet sister that nobody really liked because I liked to read instead of party or do some stupid shit. Despite all our differences, I really got along with them.

My mom had always taught me to be myself and never change for anyone. Me, being me, I always listened to her knowing she was right. She had experiences with stuff like that. That's how she ended up pregnant with my oldest brother, Colin.

She was a wallflower back in high school, and fell for some douche bag that didn't even know she existed. My mom, being determined as she was, wanted to get him to notice her. She completely changed herself into a popular cheerleader just because she liked someone and she instantly regretted it the night she saw the pregnant test say positive.

I was lost in my thoughts when someone knocked on my bedroom door. "Yeah?" I asked. I opened the door to my younger brother, Lucas. "Dinner's ready!" He said in his little 13 year old boy voice. Okay, maybe he wasn't THAT little. He was only three years younger than me. But believe me, his voice was higher than a chipmunks, and he was just so dang adorable. Like a little baby. I hope he never hits puberty.

I walked down the creaky steps into my filled kitchen. I had to admit, I loved having a big family. I just hated that it was so confusing. I had four brothers and i was stuck being the only girl. At least I was the second oldest, so I had some authority over the others. I was the second oldest kid in the house anyways, Colin being moved out and all and Andrew being 2 minutes older than me. Dammit why didn't my head come out first.

Colin was already 23, out of college and living in New York, where he's looking to be a journalist. That's the one thing Colin and I had in common. Reading and writing. Besides that, we were like black and white.

I dished up some steak, mashed potatoes, corn, and a cup of soy milk. I know what you're thinking. 'Soy milk? Really? Is she lactose intolerant or something?' Nope. not at all. I just enjoy soy milk. I know, I am a freak. Get used to it.

I joined my family at the table, eating with my mom, Andrew, Lucas, Isaac (my 12 year old brother), and David, my stepdad and the father of Lucas and Isaac. I know we have a confusing family history, but in a way we know we all fit together and feel like a real family, even though there's three different dads to my mom's children, but we were all okay with that.

•••••

A/n:

PLEASE comment on what I could do better, I could use the help. If you have any suggestions, comment! Thanks for reading:)