Chapter One: The Angel

     Avealee Chance frowned at her friends. The idea of starting up school seemed a little farfetched to her. She knew they were just trying to help her, but she didn’t think this would do it.

“I have a terrible temper, you know,” She said, “It’s really horrible when I loose it. Imagined if that happened and then they called my ‘parents’. Then what would we do?”

   Emmalynn sighed and closed her eyes, melting herself into the shape of a middle aged woman that looked easily like she could be Avealee’s mother. Except the fact that she didn’t have wings, but no one would know she had wings anyways.

Avealee looked away, convinced by the show but not the idea. Sam’s voice was calm when he spoke. Avealee could see him affectionately put his hand on Emmalyn’s knee.

“Don’t pressure her, Em. This is not something you would have been able to do,” Sam said.

   Sam gave off the stereotype look of an old class vampire. Like one of the ones in books. He was about eighty in real years, but Turned when he was sixteen. He was an orphan with no home able to support him. The Change was his decision. He had dark hair and reddish-brown eyes. He was fun to be around, not boring and superficial, but his voice had a deep calm to it. His pale skin stood out more with the dark of his hair; whereas their companion’s pale skin looked so much more natural with her fair hair.

“Avea, I just think this would be so good for you,” sighed Emmalynn, reaching out to her friend compassionately.

“It’s not worth it, Emmy,”

“What are you afraid of?”

“What if someone recognizes me?”

“That’s unlikely. It’s been years, Avealee! If anyone is expecting to see you again it’s certainly not as a fourteen year old girl! It’s as a confused twenty year old woman, probably suffering from amnesia!” Cried Emmalynn, regretting the words quickly.

Avealee looked away again. If angels could cry, she would be fighting back tears right now. She longed for the tears, though.

“Emmalynn…,” Sam sighed.

“She’s right. I’m being ridiculous, but I still don’t want to go,”

   The table was then quiet with an awkward silence. The two girls both looked nervously at their drinks while Sam sipped his lemonade, looking down at the printing on the table. After a moment of this Sam could not bear to watch the two people he cared about seem tortured and miserable. He had known Emmalynn for years upon years, and Avealee for about six now. The two girls had much in common, but probably just as much not. There was one thing both of them loved to do though, dance. He raised his head; both the girls saw him do so and looked up to hear him.

“Let’s go dancing tonight,” He said, smiling.

   Emmalynn looked over her friend. Avealee would look amazing in her black dress, but she refused to wear it. Avealee was hardly superstitious, but her whole no-black-on-angels deal was definitely out of the blue. But she still looked amazing in her light sea foam-green dress. 

“You look completely, one hundred percent hideous, Aves. I always tell you that,” Emmalynn said sarcastically.

   Avealee smiled at her friend sweetly.

“Thank you, Emmy,”

“What do you think, Sam?”

“You look nice, Avea,” Sam said, turning from the mirror where he was fixing his shirt to smile at her.