Introduction

Some of you may know this already but I was born and raised in the Philippines.

Fate and love took me to Canada many years ago.

And just like any Filipino away from home, I know that the ties remain strong even halfway across the world. Family is family and we do the best that we can for them.

I wrote this story in partnership with CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) because it's a story I can strongly relate to. It's a story that will always be part of my life because I live it in many ways.

When I first moved away from my family, my main concern was how I could keep helping them. Travelling back and forth was neither easy nor cheap. But I found some peace of my mind knowing that if anything happens, my help could at least get there before I could. I send money transfers like clockwork and I'm always looking for convenience, security and ease of use to help keep me and my family going in all these years we're spending apart.

I also hope that in writing this, I could touch on a reality that I perhaps share with many of you. I hope it helps you in some way to bridge the gaps of time and distance that separate us from those who mean the world to us.

We, Filipinos, are known for a lot of things.

I'd like to think that our devotion to family tops that list.

It sure does for me—the karaoke being a close second, of course. =)