Chapter 3

Amina

Its been almost two weeks and I still haven't heard from Elijah. No text, no call, or nothing. I'm starting to think that he isn't interested in me, or just had forgotten about me altogether. I didn't want to believe that, though. Maybe, he was busy. If that was the reason, then I would understand; other than that he could have that. At least, hit a bitch up for a minute, or somethin'.

"I need to get out this house, or else I'll lose my mind." I mumbled. A quick run should help. I thought to myself, as I got up from my sofa to grab my running shoes from my closet. I threw on a pair of black tights, a white tank top, and my black Nike Free runs. I then grabbed my sports armband, and within a few seconds, I was out the door.

I jogged around the neighborhood and did it two more times, just to clear my mind from Elijah. I am not a fan of exercising, but I am not a lazy person either. I did it to keep my body healthy and looking right. Once I got back inside the house, the first place I headed was to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. I sat on the kitchen counter and started to check my phone to see if I had any missed calls or texts.

Hmm, one missed call from Lola, and another one from a number I don't seem to recognize. I checked my voicemail to see if they had left anything, and to my surprise it was Elijah.

'Hey, Amina. I was just calling to ask you if you would like to go to dinner with me tonight, but it seems like you are busy. Maybe, next time.'

I thought to myself. Oh, hell no. I am going to dinner with him, tonight! I called him back, and he picked up on the third ring.

"Yes, I would love to go to dinner with you."

His laugh erupted through the phone. "Damn, you couldn't wait for me to say hello first."

I leaned against one of the cabinets and let my head rest on it. "No, I had to answer your question."

"A'ight, but start getting ready because I got something in mind, and I think you'll like it."

I scrunched up my face, trying to figure out what it could have been. "I don't like surprises."

"Don't worry, Ma'. You gone like this one. Trust me." He responded, gently trying to reassure me.

I gave in. "Okay, what time are you going to be here?" I asked, as I hopped off the counter.

"Seven o'clock on the dot, so you better be ready by the time I get there."

"I'll be ready. Don't worry."

"Okay, see you in a few beautiful." And, he hung up.

I finished the rest of my water and threw it in my recycling bin. Then, all of a sudden a smile slowly started to creep across my face.

"I have a date!" I left the kitchen, shouting at the top of my lungs. "No more dildos!"

------------------

Elijah was not lying when he said he was going to be here seven on the dot. He was sitting in my living room, waiting for me to get my sandals. He told me I did not have to look fancy, so I just wore a tribal print maxi dress and my silver Steve Madden sandals. I grabbed my Michael Kors cross-body clutch, then I went to the living room to go get Elijah so that we could leave.

"How do I look?" I asked, doing a quick spin, so he could get a good view.

He got up and kissed my cheek. "Beautiful as always."

I smiled at him. "Thank you." I examined his outfit. He had on khaki pants, a white, collared shirt, and black loafers. "You don't look so bad yourself."