Roshtek

The 317 Cruisers, Frigates, Dreadnaughts, Carriers, and Battleships of the United Earth Confederation’s 5th System Fleet stationed around Roshtek maneuvered into battle positions facing out-system. Slowly approaching through the cold, bleak vastness of interplanetary space were the chitonous bio-ships of the Racdin. The first large battle of the Purge, that great war between these two major powers of the galaxy, was about to begin.

Flashes of laser light beamed from the long-range weapon platforms mixed around with the ships of the fleet. Explosions of chitinous armor and bloody gristle glistened in the black void between the Hive ships. Return volleys of long-range acid spores from the heavier Racdin bio-ships zipped through space, slower than a laser, but still fast enough to destroy a capitol ship.

One of these was aimed directly at the UEC command-and-control ship, the Super Carrier Antietam. On that ship was the Commandant of the 5th Fleet, and its destruction would have been the prologue to an epic massacre of the fleet, as well as that of the civilian population of Roshtek. The pending disaster was averted when the Dreadnaught Suresh micro-warp-jumped right in the way of the incoming acid spore. Firing all anti-fighter cannons, point-defense missiles, and lance batteries directly at the acid spore, the esteemed Dreadnaught put itself in the line of fire to protect the Antietam. When the firing seemed to have no effect, Capt. James W. Lewis ordered maximum power to the engines and then made for the escape pods as his ship sped towards the acidic bio-weapon. No casualties were counted from the crew of the Suresh.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Hive Fleet had drifted closer to the 5th. More lasers and lance batteries fired, cutting a massive swath out of the approaching bio-ships. Single-ship fighters, bombers, and troop transports launched out of Carrier hangers, and hundreds of smaller bio-ships detached from the main ships and launched out to meet them. Swarms of missiles by the tens of thousands raced across the black and in return, the Hive Fleet launched another volley of acid spores.

The Battleship Tobishira, followed by the Cruisers Gettysburg and Bull Run, the Dreadnaught Motora, and the Frigates No Punch Backs, Chain Yanked, and Falling Up raced forwards into the Hive Fleet. The sheer speed of their attack made it so they were not even damaged on the way in. The Tobishira destroyed at least 104 bio-ships, not including countless smaller ones. Gettysburg and Bull Run made a run on the main leader ships, destroying 7 out of the 10 that were at that battle before they were destroyed. The Dreadnaught and three Frigates all rushed to protect the Tobishira, but the No Punch Backs, Chain Yanked, and Motora were destroyed soon enough. The Tobishira’s captain, Lars Chaplain, commanded the Falling Up to link NaviComps, and, soon enough, they jumped through warp-space and landed behind the line of the 5th UEC Fleet. The crews of all 7 ships were granted rewards, and the crews of the destroyed ships were all posthumously given the Colonial Cross, Gold Class, which was the highest reward able to be given to a naval operative.

The destruction of the 7 leader ships was a major blow to the Hive Fleet. The 3 remaining leader ships were soon overwhelmed with damage reports and psychic screams from the dying bio-ships, and 1 self-destructed from the pain of to many minds linked to it. The Hive Fleet broke under the constant laser, lance beam, missile, and cannon barrage from the 5th Fleet, and most were destroyed. The few that survived managed to escape.

Of the 3511 ships of the Hive Fleet, 3185 were destroyed, leaving only 326 alive. 52 starships of the UEC 5th Fleet were damaged beyond repair or destroyed. The first major battle of the war that would go down in history as the Purge was complete. The UEC was now majorly confident of their ability to defeat Hive Fleets. However, the war on the outside would soon be joined by a second front, as a growing Insurrection was planning its moves, slowly waiting for its chance to disrupt the Confederation’s government. But that is a story for next time.

Ok so this was my first… well I guess it’s just a story. It started as a fan fiction, but in the end I thought, “Why copy of something already famous when I can make up something else?” So I changed it around and BOOM, we got the first story in the epic of the Purge. I hope to set up some more of these stories later, depending on the press I get. Please comment on things I did wrong, or what you thought I, maybe, god forbid, did well. So yeah, thanks for reading and, well, I hope you liked it!