Don't Bother Sleeping Without One Eye Open Wide

"They're coming for you, Rayne. There's no escape.."

My eyes shot open as I let out a muffled scream. My heart was beating a million times a minute. I could feel the hair standing up on my arms as the chill finally weaved it's way into my nerves. The dream, it's been happening every night for the past 4 months. I've grown accustomed to it, although it still scares me senseless. I don't know why I've been having this dream. It makes no sense to me. I want it to stop...now.

I groaned and rolled out of my bed, hitting the floor with a thud. The coolness of the wood felt good against my hot, sweaty skin. I lie there for a minute, letting myself cool off before struggling to stand up. My muscles weren't functioning correctly yet, and I was still a little spooked from the nightmare. With a deep breathe, I pushed myself off of my knee and stood up straight. My vision blurred, so I blinked rapidly until everything became clear.

I glanced over at the alarm clock resting beside my bed on a table. 3:19 a.m. Fabulous. Knowing there was no real way I was going back to sleep, I figured I would go crawl into bed beside my father. He wouldn't mind it. Not since the accident, anyway.

I forced myself to walk slowly and quietly into the hall, tactically placing my feet on sections of the floor that made very little creaking sounds. Didn't want to scare my dad, did we? Steadily, my feet dragged down the hallway to the door of my dad's room. It was slightly ajar, enough for me to peek inside his room. I closed one eye and peered in.

Blackness. Not one little flash of a light flickered in his room. The light on his laptop wasn't on, which was strange. My father never turned that thing off. The room looked how I felt...dead. Dead because of the night and dead because of the horrors witnessed in the dark. I shuddered and forced the door open, making my way to the bed. I tried my best not to make any sound, but failed when I tripped on one of his leather work boots. Instantly, my muscles froze and my attention focused in on my dad. I could faintly make out his image.

He looked so relaxed in his sleep. The creases in his forehead were wiped smooth and the bags under his eyes faded. His shaggy, black hair stuck out in various directions. The black stubble on his face added to the fatherly effect. Honestly, he looked younger right this moment than he has any other time he's been awake. He looked happy.

I smiled and thought about how happy my father used to be every day. How perfect his life was. You could see it shine in his hazel green eyes. The love he felt towards my mother and I, his family, his friends. But ever since the accident, my father hasn't been the same. Neither have I.

I made a small detour around some loose articles on the floor and crawled into the bed beside my father. He didn't toss or turn the other way. Good, that means I haven't disturbed him.

I nestled myself under the soft, white sheets and pulled the comforter up to my nose. I inhaled deeply and let the scent of lavender and honeydew fill my nostrils. It smelled just like my mother. There was never a day where this scent wouldn't cheer you up, until recently.

Forcing the bad thoughts out of my mind, I turned over on my side and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight, dad. Goodnight, mom," I whispered. A heavy blackness took over.