Chapter 1 - Always a Pleasure

Chapter 1

Always A Pleasure

“If I was my study chip, where would I be?” I muttered, jamming my fingers into the sides of the armchair. My tablet was on the side table, along with two of the three chips containing the coursework for my government studies. “Are you in the machine? Did I actually lose you by putting you where you belong?” I flipped it over and stared at the empty drive slot. “Nope.” A shuffling noise caught my attention. “Did you steal my chip, little light?” I turned just in time to see a head of dark curls disappear behind the couch. “Hmmm, Zoe? Did you steal my chip.”

I crossed the space in a few giant steps and scooped the little girl up in my arms. “You’ve become such a little pest since you learned how to crawl.” It was impossible not to tickle the girl’s chubby belly. Zoe giggled her infectious laugh, and opened her hands to reveal the missing white chip-strip. My annoyance melted away as quickly as it had appeared. “You’re too damn cute for your own good.”

“Are you talking to yourself again?” Mitch laughed from the hallway entrance. The seven-month-old’s head swung towards his voice. Her hands shot out and she began wiggling furiously.

“You have quite the admirer here.” I laughed, setting down the squirming body. With lightening speed, Zoe dashed across the room on her hands and knees and into Mitch’s waiting arms. “She likes you more than she likes me.”

“That’s just because I’m so much more awesome than you.” Mitch cooed as he tossed Zoe into the air.

“Watch her head, Mr. Awesome.” I kissed him quickly on the cheek.

“I know what I’m doing, worry-wart.” He smirked and set Zoe down on her playmat. “Don’t forget, I’m leaving with Reg for the engineering conference this afternoon.” He reached into the cupboard and pulled out a big mixing bowl.

“How could I possibly forget? You’ve been talking about this for weeks.” I grinned. “It’s adorably dorky.”

“What?! I get to leave the community for a couple days and actually talk to people who do what I want to do.” Mitch tossed some flour into a bowl and measured out the sugar. “It’s kind of a big deal”

“I know it is.” I licked my finger and dipped it in the brown sugar. “That’s why it’s so adorable.” I tapped the end of his nose.

“This is going to be the first time we’re apart since we got here.” The excitement in his voice lessened a tiny bit. “That’s going to suck.” Mitch slapped my hand as I reached for bowl of melted butter. “Do not touch the baked goods, JJ. We have long established that you are the destroyer of pasteries. Poor innocent desserts quake at your very name, and then fall and secret away their flavours. The mere hint of your touch and cakes crum…”

“Shut up, Mitchell.” I ran around the counter. “I’m not that bad.”

“It’s not polite to lie.” Mitch turned, grabbed me around the waist, and spun me around. “And I wish you had never seen that file. I hate that name.”

“But you love when I call you it.” I laughed and stood on top of his feet. He was so much taller than my tiny 5’ 2” frame this was a regular position for us. “I know you do.”

“Let us remind you of the definition of love.” He smirked and leaned down until our lips met. A light tugging at my ankles broke us apart as I looked down to see Zoe sitting on the floor, staring up at us.

“I know what you love, Zoe. You love the playground, don’t you?” I felt my voice slipping into that singsong I couldn’t seem to control around this tiny child. “Would you like to go for a visit?” I asked in a more normal voice. “We’ll play for a bit before your mom and dad get home?” Zoe grinned at me and chirped her happy baby chirp. “You probably want to finish that, ‘eh?” I nodded towards the bowl on the counter.