Part 1: Chapter 1

My eyes flicker, and I turn my stiff neck. I look at the table to the side of my bed. I see dying roses in the purest shade of blue, next to a picture of... I try to think. It hurts.

I look down and see bindings have been taken away, I rub my arms and gently ease the circulation back, every part of me aches. I slide my scarred feet off the satin-sheeted hospital bed, and when my feet touch the floor, I'm shocked to find it's warm to my fragile touch. I stand, and my eyes focus on the table on the other side of the room, I see a tray with.. what I assume is breakfast. As I straighten up, my feet almost give way, but I manage to use my bed as support as I sit by the tray. It looks delicious; Oranges, Juice, Toast. My stomach grumbles, but I only manage to down a few bites before feeling ill. I quietly observe my surroundings. I see a window lined by lace curtains. The sunlight is streaming in and I stretch out, feeling it's warming rays. This is what it's like to be alive. I stretched my arms back and my shoulder blades seemed to feel normal for a second. Then the pain returned. I kept looking and saw an intercom machine. I start to limp my way over. My chest is heaving, my ribs hurt. My head starts spinning and I press the button.

To my surprise it doesn't ask for voice recognition. I don't have to speak at all actually. I lick my lips and then... I'm on the ground. My head starts to clear, and I put a hand to my head. I feel hair brush my face. I recoil, then I get used to it. I pull myself up, and hoist myself onto the bed. I flop onto my back and sigh. I roll over away from the sun.

A small man knocks on the door and strolls in, his eyes are glued to the display in front of him. He glances at me then at the display. "Hm. I shall alert the Doctor that you've awaken." And with that he curtly leaves, leaving me to listen to the purring of my radiator.

A man in his late 30's early 40's comes through the door. He's tall and slightly muscled. He has 'salt-and-pepper' hair and kind grey eyes. He looks at me and smiles. I instinctively smile back. He glances at his clipboard. "Harmony?" My eyes flash over to him.

Harmony.

That's my name.

My name.

The headache starts again and I focus back on his talking. ".. A little late, but no problem. You're quite the fighter aren't you?" He winks.

A fighter? Why does that sound so familiar?

He extends him hand and I take it. I slide off the bed. "I'll just have to run some tests, then I can return you to Star Fleet, that's where you belong after all." I nod and ponder these thoughts until the headache returns, then I follow willingly. I lean on him and we walk over to the door. He flashes a pass card and we step into an equally white, bustling hallway. We cross the hall and take a few paces North and he flashes a card again, and we're alone in the quite once more.

"Harmony," I hear him say and I pull my focus back on him. "May name is Dr. Pollock." He explains. I shake his hand. It's strong and welcoming. I look into those kind eyes. I continue to look around. I'm in a room, very similar to the one I just came out of, but this one doesn't have a table. Instead it has medical equipment with a large monitor dominating the area, with intricate displays in bright green.

Dr. Pollock politely asks me to sit on the bed. I comply. He attaches cords to my temples, arms, legs, back and torso. Looking at the screen with his brow furrowed, he madly scribbles on various pieces of paper. Occasionally mumbling to himself. "Heart-rate.... Female.... Normal.... Uninterrupted."  I sit as still as  I can, but when you've just woke up from what feels like very long time. You have a hard time keeping still.

"D-Doctor," I begin in a croaky voice that makes the Doctor turn and smile. "Hm?" He simply says. "Wh-Why am I here?" He finishes writing the notes and then turns away from the display for the final time. "Ah, yes. I suppose you can't remember much, can you?" I shake my head and open my mouth. He holds up a finger. "And when you do it hurts?" I nod again and he smiles. 'Well, that I can fix. I had a feeling you'd need these." He opens a drawer and pulls out a crisp tin packet, with unassuming white tablets. "Take one of these with every meal. I'll tell your manager at Star Fleet you need these. Your memory should improve greatly over the next week." I look away and think about the photo next to my bed. "How, How much will I remember?" For the first time, I see the Doctor look sad. "All of it.. Though I pray you never again have to witness such a travesty."

A, A travesty?

I look at him for more information, but no answer is forthcoming. I try to shake it off, but it leaves me feeling uneasy. He takes off the cords and I rub my arms. I take his outstretched hand and see a creature there holding a pair of crutches. "I noticed your upper body is fine, your legs will just a need a day, maybe a week, but I doubt it, to recover." I take the crutches and it's much easier to work. Dr. Pollock touches a button on the wall. "I'm afraid it's almost our farewell, Harmony. Star Fleet will be sending someone here to collect you momentarily. We may as well sit in your room and await him."

***

We do and I smile as he tells me about his family, his wife, his brother, his daughter, and his rebellious son who has a wild side. I start to laugh but it hurts too much, as he's about to comfort me a man comes in the door.

He is similar to the Doctor. Just minus a few years, and plus some muscle. He's more domineering than the doctor too. His hair is darker and he has a few days worth of stubble, but he's wearing the uniform of an officer. Dr. Pollock's already out of his chair. The man salutes to him casually. "Damien." Then he smiles at me. "Harmony Grace. Welcome back to Earth." I extend my hand and he shakes it enthusiastically.

"Rafael. I've alerted Star Fleet with her care." The muscle-man, who I assumed was 'Rafael', nodded. He looked at me as I struggled to get up. I blushed. I was already hating being unable to stand without help. He looks at me and then at the doctor. "How much will she remember?"

The doctor looks at the officer briefly. "Hopefully... All of it."

When Rafael looks at me I see something in his eyes I don't understand. Pity.

"...She's a war-hero." I catch at the end of the conversation. I raise my eyebrow in return. The officer smiles at that and gently pats me on the back playfully.

"Well, seems we're set to go." The doctor nods hands the officer a bag full of my things. He turns to me and holds out a hand. "Well, It was a pleasure to meet you, Harmony. You're father would be proud." I smile brightly and return his handshake. "T-Thank you... sir." I reply, and he smiles. The officer tuts. "Are we good to go?" I nod and share a final smile with the doctor. I follow the officer, leaning heavily on the crutches. I swerve to avoid the chaos in the hallway and try to focus on what the officer is saying. "...Assign you to a ship. When you get your health back." I'm only half focusing on his words, and half on not being crushed.

We step out of a door, after riding up 3 floors, and I hold up a hand to block the sun. My hair flies around my face. After my vision clears I see a very impressive looking star ship. Rafael is already at the entrance and two aliens nod curtly to him and he looks at me, his hand covering his eyes. He waves me over and I hurry. As I get closer my hair whips faster, and I push it out of my face. The door-guards look at me and I smile back. As I step inside the door closes and Rafael winks at me.

"Ready to fly?'