Liminal - Excerpt Only (Chapter One)

LIMINAL (Book One of the Liminals series)

By Maree Anderson

Now you see me, now you don't!

My name's Wren, and I'm a liminal who can phase in and out of the real world.

Sounds like an awesome trick, right? Yeah. Like everything that's supposed to be cool, it's complicated. I'm caught between two warring factions who'd kill to get a piece of me. Someone's blocked my energy flows so if I phase I'll get trapped in a ghostlike plane called Between... and die. And to top it all off, I'm totally crushing on my only ally, mysterious bad boy Kade. Sad thing is he's keeping secrets from me, just like everyone else. My life's spinning out of control. I don't know who to trust anymore. And what I find lurking Between is the biggest shock of all.

***

iBooks Stores Australia/New Zealand "Best Books of August" 2013

Winner: Editor's Choice Division

Romance Writers of New Zealand Strictly Single contest

Second place: Published Authors Division

From the Heart Romance Writers Golden Gateway contest

***

LIMINAL

Copyright 2013 by Maree Anderson

Published by Maree Anderson

ISBN 978-0-9922498-6-1

License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you are reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please purchase your own copy.

Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

***

Acknowledgements

Huge thanks to my daughter for finding the perfect "Wren" to grace the cover of Liminal. And to my Cover Artist Extraordinaire, Rob, who somehow manages to tame the wild images in my head and make them beautiful.

A special shout-out to Wild Woman Saranna for wading through the first draft of Liminal and whipping my sad attempt at a blurb into shape. Have I told you lately how awesomely talented you are?

And my heartfelt thanks to Laura B, who believed in this story from the beginning, and whose support and generous feedback gave me the courage to publish it rather than leave it languishing on my hard-drive.

***

LIMINAL

CHAPTER ONE

Something compels me to glance down at my hands and my stomach twists into knots. They look wrong. The skin is fish-belly white, leached of all color from wrist to fingertips. It's such a stark contrast to the tanned skin of my arms it looks like a corpse's hands have somehow been seamlessly grafted to my wrists.

I start to tremble as I inspect my hands more closely, trying to make sense of what my lizard-brain already knows at some deep instinctual level. And as I finally understand what I'm seeing, trembling turn to full-body shudders. It isn't static, this process. The little pigment remaining in my skin is draining away. My hands are turning transparent save for a darker outline etching the shape of outspread fingers—fingers that are twitching like they've been zapped with an electrical charge... and I am powerless to prevent it.