Eternest and the Deuakins

I finally decided to take the plunge and publish something after being a Wattpad member for several years. I hope at least a few people find this interesting. I welcome any feedback.

Overview

When I heard in early 2008 that a new island had been discovered, I knew I had to be the one to get there first and explore this new wonder.  I was thrilled by the prospect of being the first person to dig my hands into something so new.  I am not sure what I was expecting to find, but nothing could have prepared me for the wonders held on the small plot of land. 

The moment we passed through the wall of clouds that obstructs the outside world’s view of the island and I got my first look, I knew I wasn’t going to leave anytime soon.  (Indeed, it would be five years before I returned to America.)  I no longer cared that I was functioning on a meager four hours of sleep (it had been a long flight, and choppers aren’t exactly conducive to luxury naps); the simple beauty and wonder of the island was more than sufficient encouragement to shake off any grogginess I was feeling. 

The island of Eternest was old, dating back to the days of Pangaea.  A small piece of land broke off and drifted to the middle of the Pacific Ocean (30°N 26”, 171°W 23” at the centermost point, branching outward in a diamond-like shape).  Eternest is about 500 square miles total and is surrounded by clouds on all sides, but not from above, allowing it to remain undiscovered until this time. 

The inhabitants, the Deuakins, are the original inhabitants.  The oldest remains we have found match those of the oldest African remains on record.  The size of the population is about 1000.  They have survived so many centuries because they have a small population and enough extra land to accommodate them.  They are resourceful and are cautious with what they use of the land, such as trees and the wildlife.

Distinctives

            I fell in love with Eternest and the Deuakins immediately.  It took a little bit of time before they began to trust my company and me and allow us into their society.  Once they did, however, it was clear that they were a very happy and community-based society.  They were always talking, laughing, and playing, even in the midst of work.  Though they would be considered “primitive” by today’s standards, by the end of my stay I believed that it was the definition of an ideal society.  It wasn’t long before I finally realized what made this place and these people so special and unique: throughout the course of their existence, using what was available to them, they had reached a state of mental perfection.  Mental disease did not affect the population.  It was not their intended goal to achieve this mental utopia; it was simply a product of circumstance.  The combination of the geographic location of the island, the way in which their society was organized, and their general way of living based upon the resources that were available allowed them to live in an environment in which there was no mental illness.  The depression rate was very low.  Suicide and self-harm was almost non-existent.  I noticed almost no stress in the daily lives of the Deuakins.  There were no signs of addiction to any substance.  There was no alcohol and no drugs. 

            The first element I look at when studying a society is the depression rate, primarily because it affects humanity on a global basis and it is such a prevalent issue in my own life.  There are a variety of factors that can lead to depression, especially genetic and biological factors (Mayo Clinic staff 2012).  After some observations and tests, it was discovered that the Deuakins lacked many of these factors.  They had a healthy amount of neurotransmitters and depression was not a hereditary factor.  Certain events that can impact depression, such as the death or loss of a loved one, financial problems, and high stress, are events that are usually out of our control.  The Deuakins appear to have been a very lucky group of people; there is not a high amount of these events, and when they do occur, it rarely results in depression.  The support of the community is stunning.  In the midst of those trying times, friendship and social support are vital to maintaining a good state of mental health (Mayo Clinic staff 2012).  The biggest reason for the significantly low depression rate is the island’s geographic location, lessening the diagnosis of seasonal affective disorder (SAD).  As it is, SAD affects 0.8-2.2% of the American population (Roecklein 230).  It is even less on Eternest due to the large amounts of sunlight received year round because of its geographic location.  Because of the constant high levels of sunlight the island receives, the Deuakins’ circadian rhythm is not thrown off balance, thereby decreasing SADs prevalence (Mayo Clinic staff 2011).