Manni Island Murder

Start from the beginning

His laptop PC called his place ABRACADABRA, after the magic word:Abracadabra is an incantation used as a magic word in stage magic tricks, He shortened it to abbacadabba after the ABBA Swedish singing group: 'cad' on his router transmitter name: 'cad' meaning calling address 'abbacadabba' meaning open says me.And so unknowingly, he let the others on the island, some sixty or more, know when he was at home on his computer writing away in his hiding place on the western coast. 

It was a magical place of tides and marshes and wild flowers and growing life. A place where the idea of ecology had been created by a man named Warming. A place that was the island of men, men run ashore on sailing ships in the North Sea, near the Wadden Sea. A place in the Friesen Islands, a place spies had spied on German Shipping for England. Low draft boats sliding across the sand bars among the tidal marshes with field glasses. 

He had given his name as 'Stigloss' meaning spy glass to the local people upon his lease.He was innocent enough wanting to write being away and he kept to himself, no sounds. 

But he was no innocent man run ashore to this place. He had selected it because it was an island, Manni Island, like similar named islands in Sweden, where he had a bolt-hole.Whenever he drove his car from Stockholm, he took the longer traveled route to Germany, and just before the ferry left, he got out of line and traveled west, watching for anyone doing the same, getting out of line, and following him. He would always arrive just at low tide and cross the cause way, in his car, watching for anyone else, crossing.There was no other way on or off the island, and once on it, you could not leave until low tide. There were few hiding places for outsiders and all the locals knew him and not them. 

Of course, anyone could arrive by sand bar boat like the draft boat spies, but they would be seen, night by their torches at night, or day from the dikes above the sea. Once on the island they would need assistance from one of the local people, difficult. Any one walking on the sandy beaches left tracks in the mud, washed by the tide. 

Unknowingly, they too, would know when he was in the house, by his lights, and his router, broadcasting his call sign, 'cad'. It was a kind of Morse code, ominously calling.He had made this farm, this hiding place, this place where he was known by the locals, this bolt-hole for one reason and one reason only: his disappearance from Sweden. His Swedish passport was accepted in the European Union, allowing him to cross borders, as a journalist for a Swedish newspaper, reporting on political events, and local ecology. It was under the name of 'Stigloss'; close enough to Stig Larsson pronounced Los-son. But no police search for "Larsson" would spot 'Stigloss" or a search for "Stieg" would spot 'Stig Losson'. When he changed his name from 'Stig' to 'Stieg' publically, he also changed his birth records to 'Stig' 'Losson' privately, and obtained dual identity cards.It was a simple matter to obtain dual passports, one from home town records, and one from Stockholm public records. 

Of course, no one else knew about the dual passports.For most of his professional life as a left socialist journalist in Sweden he had feared he would be murdered by the Nazi party terrorists who had killed other journalists. He had mirrors in the rooms of his Swedish home and also in the farm house. He carried a pistol with 22 caliber bullets (9 mm) for hunting small game as a protection against attack. His suit was made of eighteen layers of silk to stop a bullet of the same caliber; a bullet proof vest. He carried a canister sound suppressor to screw onto his pistol for a silencer, so as not to be seen when he was forced to shoot back, but only as a defensive legal move. Should he be attacked and he lived to escape in his car kept in a hidden garage, his plates were registered in the name of 'Stigloss' as were legal papers, and a hidden bank account.He was not married and had no children, parents, or guardians. He sent email to Sweden. 

His email was Mozilla Thunderbird with OPENPGP data encryption, and his router was WEP, so it would be intercepted and decrypted by anyone on the island.